Will RIM survive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will RIM survive?

Post your comments on RIM (Research In Motion). Will they survive?

I think they'll survive, but they're going to be a much smaller player over time. They need to be more innovative and lead instead of follow.

Scott
    <Insert witty statement, phrase or send money...>

They have a bunch of Corporate and Government long term contracts or at least the ones I know and have worked with the people are still carrying BB's. Once that ends if it does, they will be a LOT smaller. This is just my opinion, I could be dead wrong....
    Please donate to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Comment

I think the Windows phone 7 will take over Rim and challenge the other top 2.

Looking at the partnership between Microsoft and Nokia things are starting to hot up especially when you see the Nokia Lumia phones. I know I am going on about mobile phone os here but with the new Windows 8 tablets coming out it is all links when you see Windows Phone 7 and Windows 8 operating system due to release this year. The two are linked
      Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Comment

I think you're both right.

Everything I've heard about the Windows Phone 7 says it's going to be a corporations dream. I know I work at a company that is HUGE into windows. Everyone there carries a BB. But... the key is integration. If Microsoft can integrate this with their corporate view, RIM is in DEEP TROUBLE sooner rather than later.

Scott

Comment

I do have the playbook tablet, Ipad 2 and Arnova 7G2. If you have the oportunity to use this device, you will realize how superior it is to all other tablets. Problem is some essential apps are not available. Aside from that, it has the best OS in the planet. It multitasks like no other, very stable and run very smooth. Visit one of the stores that shows this beauty. You will never go back. It's amaizing...

Due to these reazons, yes I think it will survive. More users are realizing the power of these pieces....Hope we get more usefull apps.

TURBO

Comment

TURBO but in my years being involved with "IT", etc (I am 52, not that it matters really), but I have seen GREAT OS's come and go.... Great orocessor architectures like the some of the stuff Motorola developed in the 80's, etc... Xerox Palo Alto Research (I work for Xerox FYI), etc, etc, All die....

It's all Marketing these days. You could have a great OS but if it isnt played up like iOS or Android... DEATH.... Just speaking historically here... So unless BB gets off thier butt's and start marketing it more, it will eventually die as an OS no matter how good it is. Ashame really but the truth of the matter.

Bob
            "Przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Прости их, ибо не ведают, что творят"
            "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
            "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
            "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
            "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
            "Perdónalos porque no saben lo que hacen"
            "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
            "Atyám, bocsásd meg nekik, mert nem tudják mit cselekszenek!"
            "Odpusť jim, neboť nevědí, co činí"
            "Πάτερ άφες αυτοίς, ού γάρ οίδασι τί ποιούσι"
            "Ojcze, przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
            "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I agree with Bob. In order for RIM to survive they have to fix the public's perception that their tablets are nothing more than glorified Storms (we all know how bad they were--I know personally). The only way to fix that perception is to distance their tablets from their phones. Unfortunately, RIM now has almost ZERO marketing on their tablets and the perception is that it's a iPad wannabe. Bob is dead on... Market, market, market. I'm a little older than Bob and I work in IT, as well. I've seen great things go the way of the dodo--VMS, Clix, you name it, it all ends up as a collectors item sooner or later.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                I am 52, not that it matters really

Bob
                Originally posted by dunkonu23 View Post
                I'm a little older than Bob

Scott
                Now I know why I love this forum. Guys who can remember the Beatles, know when disco was cool, and can tell you what an 8088 was.

PS I now get the senor discount at Ross's
                Sent from my NXM726HN using Tapatalk

Comment

Bro, bro, bro... I never, even for one second thought disco was cool!

Scott

Comment

Well being a little younger than you, sorry to say I was into the disco scene

Had the Angel Flight suits and all!

8088, 6502, and trash 80, were the first processors I learned machine language on. Was fun back then! No "visual studio" type stuff making it easier. You had to do everything yourself.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      Well being a little younger than you, sorry to say I was into the disco scene

Had the Angel Flight suits and all!

8088, 6502, and trash 80, were the first processors I learned machine language on. Was fun back then! No "visual studio" type stuff making it easier. You had to do everything yourself.

Bob
                      O yeah, DOS 3.1 and powder blue polyester suits, ah ah ah just staying alive.

(Disco ruled and some of use are still willing to confess we were there. I can still stomp my kids when they play disco inferno on the Wii game.)

Comment

Bob,

My first personal computer was an Apple II that I upgraded to a II+. 6502 and all. I remember using the Rom assembler, then the Apple Assembler... then on the IIGS (65816), APD, then Orca/M and ORCA Ansi C. The first computer I ever worked on was a Univac 1218 while I was in the Navy--Machine language through little bitty neon-lit buttons.

I'm toying with the idea of buying a Mac and writing iOS apps. It's only 99 bucks for the whole suite.

I'm only four years older, Bob.

Scott

Comment

If I was going to get into writing APPs, I think I would go the Android route. All of it is free, there is plenty of documentation and tutorial that are free, etc.

AND I personally think Android will be the majority in a year over iOS.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by dunkonu23 View Post
                            Bro, bro, bro... I never, even for one second thought disco was cool!

Scott
                            LOL. I just noticed the headbanger part. I wore out about a dozen 8 tracks of Arrowsmith-Zep-Bob Seger-and heart. But I still loved disco, that was back when I could multi task. (ok I'm 55).

By the way shouldn't the Commodore 64 freaks be chiming in?

Comment

I don’t want to get sentimental, but I remember my Commodore64, where I used to program in Basic language.Sniff..... Whaaaaaaaa........

Any ways, yes marketing is important, but out of these three tablets (Arnova, Ipad2 and Playbook), I find myself always using the Playbook, because of the multitasking. I believe that people who have it, do the same. It is my primary device, well constructed, best OS ever (well, web OS was very similar).
                              Last edited by TURBO; 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X