Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RockChip RK30 Common Bug - External SDcard Corruption!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RockChip RK30 Common Bug - External SDcard Corruption!

Hey folks, I wanted to bring this up so everyone knows about an issue I am seeing with all RK30 devices I have. Also based on reports I am hearing from other RK30 devices this seems to be a common BUG!

At this point I believe it is either a hardware design issue or a common kernel issue that is being implemented. I am hoping it is a kernel issue and can be fixed as this is a pretty serious bug.

Bug:
    When external SDcard is formatted FAT32, writing large files or many files (lots of data) results in SDcard corruption.
    I believe this is a common to ALL RK30 devices! Why do I say this? Yes it still is not a large data point but I have a Yuandao N101-1 and a ug802 Android mini PC. Both of these devices have this bug. I also see reports that the Cube 30GT also has this issue. Other forums and things I have read show many other RK30 tablets coming out also seem to have this problem.
    Note: This problem ONLY exists for external SDcard. Internal SDcard (NAND space) is not affected. It is also ONLY a problem for external SDcard when it is formatted FAT32. If the SDcard is formatted NTFS or EXT4, the issue does not occur.

How to know the SDcard got corrupted?
    1) Plug your SDcard into your PC (windows) or turn on USB storage from your device
    2) Right click on the new removable drive on your PC and select properties (make sure it is the SDcard and not internal SD).
    3) Select the "tools" tab in properties.
    4) Under error-checking click the check now button
    5) Now click start button
    6) When it completes if it says no error found it's not corrupted. However if it says errors found, then it was corrupted! It will make a folder on the SDcard called FOUND0000 or something like that. This is parts of bad files that got corrupted and are basically worthless! Toss them.

Is it hardware or software?
    Well I can confirm it is not the Android OS itself (e.g. system.img or its files). So it is either a hardware problem or a Kernel problem. How do I know this?
    Clockwork recovery which uses ONLY the kernel corrupts the SDcard when you make backups to external SDcard. So the Android OS itself is out of the picture.

Recreating the bug consistently:
    I can recreate this external SDcard corruption pretty easily.
    1) As stated above 90% of the time a clockwork backup to external SDcard will cause SDcard corruption!
    2) Titanium Backup if you have a lot of data and APPs installed will also cause SDcard corruption. Although the issue does not show up as bad. Again it depends how much you have installed etc.
    Bottom line it takes a lot of data writes to SDcard or large files to cause the issue!

Work Arounds and Caveats:
    1) One work around is to format the SDcard as NTFS. This solve the corruption 100% because NTFS is a error checked file system. Most RK30 kernels now support NTFS natively.
    Caveat: problem with doing this is ClockWork recovery at present does not support NTFS either writing or reading! So if you format it NTFS forget doing CWM backups to external SDcard

2) Format the SDcard and EXT4. You need Linux to do that OR a windows program that will read/write and format EXT4. They are free to get. Formatted as EXT4 solves corruption issues.
    Caveat: The Android OS will not mount and see a SDcard formatted EXT4! I think that can be fixed maybe! I am looking into it. ClockWork recovery WILL see and mount the SDcard formatted EXT4. It requires a custom clockwork to do that though. I have tested it and it works. Finally, windows natively will not work with EXT4. So a windows program will need to be installed if you want windows to be able to read and write to a EXT4 formatted SDcard.

So as you see at this point we really have no "good fix". If you want CWM to SDcard you have to use EXT4 but then the Android OS can’t use it. If you want Android OS to use the external SDcard then it must be NTFS to avoid corruption.

A fix?
    Again I do not know if this is a common hardware issue or a common kernel issue. I do know it is one of the 2. If it can be fixed by the kernel, we need to pressure these device makers to fix it! If it is a hardware issue we are stuck unless Rockchip themselves can come up with a patch. My belief at this point since MANY RK30 devices seem to have this, is this is a hardware issue.

Recommendations from me at this point:
    Go with NTFS format of SDcard
    1) If you use and like Titanium Backup or other backup programs, you can use these to external SDcard without worry of corruption.
    2) For clockwork backups, backup to internal SDcard and then copy the backup to external SDcard with Windows or a Android file manager (Windows is faster). As I said above, there is no issue with corruption of internal SDcard. Then to do a CWM restore, you will need to copy the clockwork folder back to internal SDcard and do a restore from internal SDcard. PAIN in the butt, but this does work.

So there you have it folks. I hope this helps people that can’t figure out what’s going on with their SDcard and problems with bad backups, large files.

If you have a RK30 device other than what I named above, PLEASE post here if you have this issue or not. I think compiling a larger sample report from users will help the situation many of us are facing and help bring it to the attention of RockChip or the ROM manufacturers

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

H'mm

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    Hey folks, I wanted to bring this up so everyone knows about an issue I am seeing with all RK30 devices I have. Also based on reports I am hearing from other RK30 devices this seems to be a common BUG!

At this point I believe it is either a hardware design issue or a common kernel issue that is being implemented. I am hoping it is a kernel issue and can be fixed as this is a pretty serious bug.

Bug:
    When external SDcard is formatted FAT32, writing large files or many files (lots of data) results in SDcard corruption.
    I believe this is a common to ALL RK30 devices! Why do I say this? Yes it still is not a large data point but I have a Yuandao N101-1 and a ug802 Android mini PC. Both of these devices have this bug. I also see reports that the Cube 30GT also has this issue. Other forums and things I have read show many other RK30 tablets coming out also seem to have this problem.
    Note: This problem ONLY exists for external SDcard. Internal SDcard (NAND space) is not affected. It is also ONLY a problem for external SDcard when it is formatted FAT32. If the SDcard is formatted NTFS or EXT4, the issue does not occur.

1) Plug your SDcard into your PC (windows) or turn on USB storage from your device
    2) Right click on the new removable drive on your PC and select properties (make sure it is the SDcard and not internal SD).
    6) When it completes if it says no error found it's not corrupted. However if it says errors found, then it was corrupted! It will make a folder on the SDcard called FOUND0000 or something like that. This is parts of bad files that got corrupted and are basically worthless! Toss them.

Well I can confirm it is not the Android OS itself (e.g. system.img or its files). So it is either a hardware problem or a Kernel problem. How do I know this?
    Clockwork recovery which uses ONLY the kernel corrupts the SDcard when you make backups to external SDcard. So the Android OS itself is out of the picture.

1) As stated above 90% of the time a clockwork backup to external SDcard will cause SDcard corruption!
    2) Titanium Backup if you have a lot of data and APPs installed will also cause SDcard corruption. Although the issue does not show up as bad. Again it depends how much you have installed etc.
    Bottom line it takes a lot of data writes to SDcard or large files to cause the issue!

1) One work around is to format the SDcard as NTFS. This solve the corruption 100% because NTFS is a error checked file system. Most RK30 kernels now support NTFS natively.
    Caveat: problem with doing this is ClockWork recovery at present does not support NTFS either writing or reading! So if you format it NTFS forget doing CWM backups to external SDcard

2) Format the SDcard and EXT4. You need Linux to do that OR a windows program that will read/write and format EXT4. They are free to get. Formatted as EXT4 solves corruption issues.
    Caveat: The Android OS will not mount and see a SDcard formatted EXT4! I think that can be fixed maybe! I am looking into it. ClockWork recovery WILL see and mount the SDcard formatted EXT4. It requires a custom clockwork to do that though. I have tested it and it works. Finally, windows natively will not work with EXT4. So a windows program will need to be installed if you want windows to be able to read and write to a EXT4 formatted SDcard.

So as you see at this point we really have no "good fix". If you want CWM to SDcard you have to use EXT4 but then the Android OS can’t use it. If you want Android OS to use the external SDcard then it must be NTFS to avoid corruption.

A fix?
    Again I do not know if this is a common hardware issue or a common kernel issue. I do know it is one of the 2. If it can be fixed by the kernel, we need to pressure these device makers to fix it! If it is a hardware issue we are stuck unless Rockchip themselves can come up with a patch. My belief at this point since MANY RK30 devices seem to have this, is this is a hardware issue.

1) If you use and like Titanium Backup or other backup programs, you can use these to external SDcard without worry of corruption.
    2) For clockwork backups, backup to internal SDcard and then copy the backup to external SDcard with Windows or a Android file manager (Windows is faster). As I said above, there is no issue with corruption of internal SDcard. Then to do a CWM restore, you will need to copy the clockwork folder back to internal SDcard and do a restore from internal SDcard. PAIN in the butt, but this does work.

So there you have it folks. I hope this helps people that can’t figure out what’s going on with their SDcard and problems with bad backups, large files.

If you have a RK30 device other than what I named above, PLEASE post here if you have this issue or not. I think compiling a larger sample report from users will help the situation many of us are facing and help bring it to the attention of RockChip or the ROM manufacturers

Bob
    Got to this thread via your Ug802 threads, not sure if its the same issue but I get a corrupted warning every time I connect my orange Monte Carlo (zte skate) to my win 7 PC, up to now I'm just ignoring it as an error

Comment

what is the size of your sd card is it bigger than 16gb or are you seeing it in all size cards
      Originally posted by Finless View Post

Bug:

A fix?

Bob

Comment

I have an 8GB, 16GB and 32GB. The 8GB is Class 8 and the 16 and 32 are Class 10.

Bob

Comment

thanks for starting thread
          got two tablets both same with jellybean 4.1.1 and rockchip 3066

tried different sd cards in both, class 6 and 4

best results are if ntfs formatted but still create random files called .fuse_hidden if any attempt is made to delete or rename files when using tablet

If formatted to fat32 then I get random numerical/alpabetical named files on external sd

Also noticed quite a few threads on net from different manufactures and operating different android versions with same problem, only apparent common denominator is rockchip 3066

Comment

Same issue on Yzipro (RK3066 / 9.7" IPS)

SDCARD 8Gb with 7Gb FAT32 partition and 1Gb sd-ext (ext3)

Backup of 130 apps with titaniumbackup will corrupt the SD.

Comment

The best thing to do is to backup to internal sdcard and after backup using windows copy ther backup to external sdcard. This will work even with fat32.

The bottom line is if using fat32 external sdcard, NEVER write to it from Android OS. If you format NTFS then you can write to it as it will repair itself.

For ROMs with ClockWork Mod do backups to internal sdcard and copy backup using windows to external fat32 sdcard. ClockWork as of yet does not support NTFS I wish I could figure out how to make it do that.

Bob

Comment

thanks for tips, bob.

Comment

Very puzzling that Android does not recognise EXT4 formatted microSD cards considering that internal storage uses the same file system Android starting with Gingerbread uses EXT4 as the file system for internal storage. The exception to this is with some devices where the manufacturer uses a different file system from the standard one

Would have thought that it would be much easier to get EXT4 microSD cards supported than with the NTFS ones. Too bad with VirtualBox it doesn't have support for microSD card readers since that would easily get around the problem of Windows not supporting EXT4. Oh wait VirtualBox does support microSD card readers via USB only

Comment

I havent really worked hard at getting Android to see the sdcard as EXT4. But editing vold.fstab might do it.

Bob

Comment

Does this also Occur to MOMO 7 users because it seems to be a very different hardware Design

Comment

Hi folks,

I've got the MK808 running Finless 1.6 (fantastic btw!), and have been using an external SD card for backup through TB Pro and fat32.
                        Have tested the card in Windows, which doesn't show any errors (at the moment).

To be safe (after reading this thread) I formatted the card to NTFS for future backups.
                        Unfortunately TB won't now let me point to this card. (no option available other than the internal SD). If I go back to fat32, it is there in TB as a location option.

The NTFS card is visible however when using the 808's file browser

Comment

Originally posted by Passive View Post
                          Hi folks,

I've got the MK808 running Finless 1.6 (fantastic btw!), and have been using an external SD card for backup through TB Pro and fat32.
                          Have tested the card in Windows, which doesn't show any errors (at the moment).

To be safe (after reading this thread) I formatted the card to NTFS for future backups.
                          Unfortunately TB won't now let me point to this card. (no option available other than the internal SD). If I go back to fat32, it is there in TB as a location option.

The NTFS card is visible however when using the 808's file browser
                          The capability for Rk3066 to support NTFS is new. Unfortunately all things do not know this fact. The format of the sdcard should be transparent to anything else but unfortunately it is not.

Anroid has had a HUGE issue with SDcard. They have changed strategy many time over and over. Gingerbread to Honeycomb, ICS, etc... Do a simple google search about "Android SDcard" and see what shows, up. I do not expect this to be resolved soon to make a bacwards compatible solution! The bad part is SOME people want it one way, and then other users doing something different want it like the old way.

Then let's talk about APPs that did not properly implement looking for the "MOUNT POINT" but instead expecting sdcard to be mounted a different way or looked at it physically! In fact these older APPs that will probably never be updated, are the driving rason why many want it to work the old way! This is not good and a never ending support issue.

This will be an issue for a long time I think!

The bottom line is I support what Android 4.0 and above is trying to do. It's not perfect but only oder APPs that do not update, will cause a problem. Thus I will never change in my ROMs what Google OS is trying to migrate to. If you want to change vold.fstab and not conform to the new standard, Expect to have issues later. Or maybe not

Bob
                          Last edited by Finless; 01-29-2013, 23:18.

Comment

Many thanks for detailed reply Bob,

I'm very new to all this, and didn't realize there had been so many problems with SD cards.

Just took the following into consideration, and hoped all would be OK...

As I now know Titanium can't even see the card, it's not an option unfortunately.

Hopefully TB come out with an answer for this problem, as they seem pretty good on update releases.

Thanks again,

Ant

Comment

I have used titanium backup to a NTFS formatted sdcard so you must have some other problem?
                              Titanium does not care what it is formatted.

Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X