This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Card Corruption!!! Understand WHY!

OK I do not know if this is a bug or just how Windows works.

So here is what I found. This is in Gingerbread 2.3.1 as I do not have any other version to test with.

When you plug in your tablet to your Windows PC you will get one or two removable drives that show up in my computer (where all your drives are listed). Usually one drive is the internal memory and the other drive is your physical SD Card. If you do not have a physical sd card then usually you only get one removable drive that show up in windows.

Understand these are formatted as FAT32. Thus they need to be ejected properly before just unplugging your cable OR turning off USB in Android. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS it almost always corrupts either your internal memory or your physical SD Card or BOTH!

I think a lot of people just do this:
    1) Plug in and in Android turn on USB
    2) The drives show up in windows
    3) They copy files or whatever
    4) In Android they turn off USB

THIS IS NOT CORRECT! Just because you turned it off in Android does NOT mean that Windows did the ejection and released the file system! And IN FACT doing the above is just like unplugging it!

Many do not know this so I will also state this. ANY FAT32 memory stick you plug into windows, you do not just pull it out when you’re done. You MUST first right click on the removable drive in windows and select EJECT! If you do not do this, it can corrupt the fat32 files system. So with that said, the same holds true for your removable drives when you plug your android device into windows! It's the same.

So the PROPER process to unplug or turn of USB is to:
    1) Plug in the device and in Android turn on USB. The removable drives will show up in windows.
    2) Do what you need to like copy files etc.
    3) Now the IMPORTANT part... In Windows right click on the removable drive and select Eject. DO this for the other removable drive as well!
    4) Now in Android turn off USB. DO this before you pull the cable or Android may corrupt the drives as well!
    5) Now you can unplug.

Again my testing shows not doing the above procedure, can and probably will corrupt the FAT32 file system!

If you think you have done this and possibly corrupted your file system. The only way to fix it is to use windows. Android does not have a disk tools program to fix FAT32 partitions. Here is how you fix both your SD Card and internal FAT32 memory.

1) Plug in the device to the PC.
    2) In Android turn on USB
    3) The removable drives will show up in Windows.
    4) Do one drive at a time. Right click on the removable drive and select Properties.
    5) In this screen click the tools tab. Under error checking click the check now button
    6) On this screen click the box "Automatically fix errors" and click start.
    7) When it finishes it will either tell you if fixed problem or not.
    8) If it did fix problems then you will find on the removable drive a folder called FOUND.000, FOUND.001, etc. You can delete those as they are broken files that got corrupt and you probably can’t do anything with them anyway!
    9) Now eject the drives properly and you done.

I hope this helps people solve constant corruption of the SD card or internal memory. It's all about properly ejecting devices in windows and I have a feeling a lot of people have just been turning on and off USB in Android without properly ejecting the removable drives from Windows.

Enjoy,
    Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Originally posted by Finless View Post
    So the PROPER process to unplug or turn of USB is to:
    1) Plug in the device and in Android turn on USB. The removable drives will show up in windows.
    2) Do what you need to like copy files etc.
    3) Now the IMPORTANT part... In Windows right click on the removable drive and select Eject. DO this for the other removable drive as well!
    4) Now in Android turn off USB. DO this before you pull the cable or Android may corrupt the drives as well!
    5) Now you can unplug.
    I've done all of above except I miss no.4

I'll start doing that as well.

Thanks Bob.

Comment

Thanks for writing this up Bob. This is exactly what I did to myself that caused all my SD Card issues after I flashed the 1.4 ROM remember? Windows disk check fixed the card but I have since gotten another one which I reformatted and I have not had any more issues because I eject it correctly and wait for Windows to say, you can now safely remove your device.

Comment

Thanks Bob. At first I would turn off USB, then my removable drives would not show up anymore. I figured it was then safe to unplug my USB cable. After trashing a SDCard, I realized I needed to eject both removable drives, then turn of USB, and then unplug USB cable. I learned the hard way.

Comment

very good advice, I'll stop my bad habits with this topic

Comment

Thanks Bob
            I have stuffed a two sticks and one SD with my bad habits.Just by being lazy

Comment

Working...
            X