Reboot App

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reboot App

As you know, Finless Bob has released a CWM recovery for our tablets.
    As our tablets are not usuualy able to handle this, there is no "software" way to reboot to CWM.
    But, with a custom script, we can do it. So I made a simple app, from where you can either :

* simply reboot (no big deal, but convenient)
    * soft reboot (a lighter and faster reboot)
    * reboot to CWM (no more script install needed)
    * reboot in bootloader mode (flash mode) for compatible devices (Rockchip 30 series)
    * power off (like reboot : just a convenient function)

Notice : sdcard and USB external storage are always unmounted safely before shutting down.

Warning : On most Allwinner tabs, it should work without any problem. But on some models it may not work, and make your device unbootable. Make sure that the app has been tested on your model before using it. For example, Elektrik tested it on the roms he cooks, so it is safe to use it on his roms.
    On non-Allwinner tabs, it may not work, but it won't harm your device.

If you want to contribute and translate the app in your language, here is the latest version of the translation files :
    translations.zip

If there is an existing translation for your language, edit the strings.xml file in the values-xx directory, xx representing the 2 letters code of the language.
    If you want to correct the english file, edit the strings.xml file in the values directory.
    If no translation exists for your language, take the english version, or any other if you understand better spanish, for example.

Send me a PM, with the xml file you made or edited, and don't forget to mention which language it is, and the name you want to be added in the credits (if you don't, I credit you with your username).

New version on Google Play:
    * Reboot 1.4.2

And the direct download link :
    * Reboot-1.4.2.apk

New version with updated root library:
    * Reboot-1.3.0.apk

New version with updated polish translation:
    * Reboot-1.2.4.apk

New version with spanish translation:
    * Reboot_v1.2.3.apk

New version :
    * Reboot_v1.2.2.apk

Previous versions :
    * Reboot_v1.2.1.apk
    * Reboot_v1.1.2.apk

version 1.4.2
    * Fix for android 5.0.

version 1.4.1
    * New launcher icon by tattman.
    * A few minor fixes.

version 1.4.0
    * Changed package name to publish the app on Google Play
    * Added an option to remove the old app if present
    * Updated polish translation by dergov
    * French translation

version 1.3.0
    * Updated root lib, using chainfire libsuperuser lib.
    * Added support for Android Lollipop.

version 1.2.4
    * Updated polish translation by dregov
    * Switched from Eclipse to Android Studio IDE. I hope nothing was broken by the migration.

version 1.2.3
    * Spanish translation by litry

version 1.2.2
    * On some Rockchip 3188 devices running KitKat, rebooting to recovery didn't allow to reboot back to System. When one of these devices is detected, a simple "reboot recovery" command will be used.
    * You can force the old method, by setting the option 'Use "misc image" trick to reboot to recovery' to yes.

version 1.2.1
    * Removed the asynchronous task, due to issues on some devices. Root commands are launched in the main thread.
    * Restored the root access check at startup.
    * New setting : you can now choose if you want to stop wifi before rebooting (WARNING : Selecting "no" on iMito QX1 is likely to cause a bootloop. Use at your own risk!)
    * New setting : you can now choose if you want to reboot all FileSystems Read-Only before rebooting. Enabling it may prevent FileSystem corruption, but can also freeze your system. It was enabled by default on 1.2.0 and caused some issues. Note that sdcard and external usb flash drives and HDD are still unmounted, if you disable this option.

version 1.2.0
    * Added a quicker "Soft Reboot" command.
    * Fix : root commands are now executed in an asynchronous task, to prevent FCs.
    * Removed root test at startup, which caused some problems. The check is now none just before reboot.
    * New settings : you can now show or hide any buttons (except "Cancel"). So if for example "Reboot to bootloader" does not work on your device, the button can be hidden.

version 1.1.2
    * Added a "Close" option in all menus, to close the current screen.
    * The fix introduced in v1.0.0 caused some side effects on other devices (airplane mode set on reboot). This fix is now used only on iMito QX1 device.

version 1.1.1
    * Bug Fix : Menu didn't show on some devices.

version 1.1.0
    * Support Android versions from 1.5 to 4.4.
    * Added Holo Theme for Android versions 3.0+.
    * Menu button added : The About and Changelog pages are now visible.
    * Settings page with only one option at the moment : you can disable the confirmation dialogs.

version 1.0.0 :
    * Try to stop wifi before rebooting, to prevent bootloop on the QX1 stick.
    * Added "ACCESS_SUPERUSER" permission to prevent newer versions of Superuser and SuperSU from complaining.
    * Norwegian translation by pr0xZen.

version 0.9.3 :
    * Polish translation by XTeK1.

version 0.9.2 :
    * Move reboot code to main shared library.

version 0.9.1 :
    * Bug fix. Reboot function did not reboot anymore in v0.9.0

version 0.9.0 :
    * Cleaner shutdown : Unmount SDCARD and USB device if present, then try to remount everything else read-only before rebooting or halting

version 0.8.1 :
    * Android target version : latest JB

version 0.8.0 :
    * Dropped support for Android versions before 2.3.1. For prior versions please use v0.7.0 or ask for specific version support.
    * Supporting only android 2.3.1 and up should make UI compatibility better on higher versions.

version 0.7.0 :
    * Support for Elektrik Allwinner GingerBread ROM

version 0.6.2 :
    * Bug fix for Allwinner tab detection

version 0.6.1 :
    * Minor bug fixes for log messages.
    * Try to unmount everything before rebooting.
    * Bug fix for Allwinner.

version 0.6.0 :
    * More russian translation.
    * For Rockchip 30 based tabs : Reboot to Recovery uses again the misc image, in addition to the "reboot recovery command", because some RK30 roms need it.
    * Support for Allwinner tabs
    * Bug fix : sdcard unmounting before reboot was broken in last version.

version 0.5.0 :
    * New app icon.
    * Russian translation.
    * New function for Rockchip 30 based tabs : Reboot to Bootloader (flash mode). Not supported on Rockchip 29 tabs
    * For Rockchip 30 based tabs : Reboot to Recovery doesn't use the misc image, but simply the "reboot recovery command", to avoid unnecessary flashes.

version 0.4.0 :
    * No more recovery script : commands are launched directly from the app.
    * No more file copy to /system, it is used directly from the app internal storage.
    * As a consequence, there is no more need to remount /system read-only

version 0.3.0 :
    Bug Fix : On some roms, the reboot to recovery script is never installed. Try to call the normal "reboot recovery" command in this case.
    In the reboot-recovery script, also use the "reboot recovery" command at the end, instead of just "reboot"

version 0.2.4 :
    Bug Fix for ICS : Cleaner file copying.

version 0.2.3 :
    Added Logcat debug messages.

version 0.2.2 :
    FileSystem Utils bug fix.

version 0.2.1 :
    Updated "Root and FileSystem Utils Internal library" : mainly a bug fix.

version 0.2.0 :
    * Application is now a small Dialog at the center of the screen, rather than a full screen app.
    * Remount /system in Read/Write mode before copying script, if necessary. Then remount Read-Only
    * Removed confirmation before installing "reboot to recovery script" : The script is now silently installed if needed.

version 0.1.0 :
    First version

* 4 choices :
    - Reboot
    - Reboot-recovery : reboots to CWM
    - Power Off
    - Cancel

* Reboot-recovery : if no script present to reboot into recovery : install it first

* About menu
    * Changelog menu
    Last edited by petrus; 12-29-2014, 07:45 AM. Reason: Download link for the 1.4.2 added

Awesome app. THANKS!!!

Sent via my A10G2
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

FABULOUS! Works perfectly! Another great app from Petrus.

Sent into the innertubes from my Rezound via Tapatalk
      Asus Transformer TF300T - ROOTED, with TWRP recovery and stock Jellybean
      HTC Rezound - ROOTED with S-OFF, running stock ICS
      Android obsessed since April 29, 2010

Comment

I taught him everything he knows

Kidding.......

Bob
        "Przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости их, ибо не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Atyám, bocsásd meg nekik, mert nem tudják mit cselekszenek!"
        "Odpusť jim, neboť nevědí, co činí"
        "Πάτερ άφες αυτοίς, ού γάρ οίδασι τί ποιούσι"
        "Ojcze, przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Just installed and works perfectly - nice one!

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
            I taught him everything he knows

Kidding.......

Bob
            Not too far from reality in fact. If you didn't tell me how to tell the arnova how to reboot to recovery, there would have been no app

Comment

And thank you guys for trying it. Nice to see it works fine.

Comment

So just to explain why we need this APP for some RK29 tablets.

misc.img works with the kernel and recovery.img.

On boot of your tablet the bootloader looks at misc.img and depending on what is in there decides to boot or go into recovery. So misc.img is the key to how the system boots up. I wont go into what is in misc.img as for this convo it is not needed.

So you have all seen APPs that give you:
                shutdown
                reboot
                reboot recovery.

Well when these apps do this they simply use a busybox reboot command on shutdown to tell the kernel what to do. Now the KEY is the kernel here! If you select reboot-recovery the kernel then writes specific data to misc.img so on next boot up the recovery system is launched.

However, many of the rk29 tablets now a days, the vendor decided they did not want all this recovery mumbo jumbo OR allow CWM or other MODs. It's clear I think for support costs!!! So they took out the ability for the kernel to write to misc.img when it gets the command to reboot-recovery. They also stripped recovery.img to the bare minimum and that is used ONLY AFTER a ROM flash which includes misc.img. So recovery is ONLY used the first time and all it does is format /data /cache etc.....

So while I am still working on a ClockWork Recovery MOD it was clear you could never reboot into recovery from the OS using an APP because the kernel has been neutered to do so. I asked Petrus if he could update the reboot widget he was working on to WRITE the data needed to misc.img since the kernel will not do it.

Petrus usual response.... SURE! Give me some time to work on it

So there you have it. A reboot widget that will allow you to reboot into recovery (CWM or otherwise). If your wondering WHY this was even needed now you know the technical details

Bob

Comment

Recovery

Hi

Have installed Bob's new CMW 2.1 Rom for the 10g2, all is fine but when I use the rebbot app and hit reboot to recovery nothing happens, I see it mentions a script in the about section. Is this a script i need to install or should it be there.?

Comment

Originally posted by doughy2002 View Post
                    Hi

Have installed Bob's new CMW 2.1 Rom for the 10g2, all is fine but when I use the rebbot app and hit reboot to recovery nothing happens, I see it mentions a script in the about section. Is this a script i need to install or should it be there.?
                    Ok, in fact, the arnova tabs don't have the capacity to reboot to recovery. So when you choose "reboot recovery" the first time, the app installs a script first. That is why you have that question the first time.

You must say yes so the script is copied within system files. Then the next time you puch the reboot recovery button, it reboots to CWM.

I did it this way because, as a user, I do like to know exactly what happens, but I admit for non paranoid users it can be confusing.

Do you think i should just remove the "script install yes/no" dialog and just install the script?

Comment

Hi

To be honest i can not remember seeing the install script yes/no prompt. I have reinstalled the app 5 times and have not see the prompt. i think just to remove the script prompt and just install it would be a good idea as people will have the option to boot to recovery or not.
                      Many thanks.

Edit: reflashed the rom and now recovery is working thanks.
                      Last edited by doughy2002; 06-22-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Petrus.... Thiss reboot APP is a GOD SEND!

I now use it so much that if it was in the Google Market for $2 I would buy it!

Thanks man.... It makes CWM reboot recovery a real thing on Arnova ROMS like mine

YOU ARE THE MAN

And I do think "you can rule the world for 1 million dollars"

Bob

Comment

Petrus, are you using an unmount procedure for usb and sd card during shutdown? I'm running into sd card corruption when I do a shutdown with this app. One time I couldn't do a CWM backup until I fixed the corruption. This isn't happening after I do standard power down.

-Randy

Sent via my A10G2
                          Randy
                          Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                          Donate here

Comment

I think he told me yes he was unmounting everything. I ahevtn run into that problem yet but if you using task killers watch out. I was for a while and had constant sdcard corruption.

Bob

Comment

Yes, I do unmount usb and sdcard before rebooting or powering off.
                              The app itself should not cause data corruption.

But I may be wrong.
                              Do some other users notice data corruprion after using this app?

Comment

Working...
                              X