Announcement

Collapse

BEELINK AP34 ULTIMATE FREAKTAB GIVEAWAY

Yet Time for an nother Big Giveaway!
This thime with 3 BEELINK AP34 ULTIMATE.
Got here to Enter the Game:
http://freaktab.com/forum/main-categ...aktab-giveaway
See more
See less

Backing up your RK device (ROM) with the new RK 2.1 tool

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backing up your RK device (ROM) with the new RK 2.1 tool

OK folks..... After the post about the new RockChip flasher tool 2.1 I had a look at this tool and found it has the ability to backup every partition in NAND memory. Basically you can backup your stock ROM and you can even backup your user stuff like CWM does.

You do NOT have to be rooted!
    But you do have to know how to put your device into flash mode and have the drivers installed.
    If you don't have that yet, you need to download one of my ROMs and read the instruction there.
    I did not provide driver install instructions with this download.

What I did is repackage this new tool 2.1 and the RK 1.37 Android tool. I then provide full step by step instructions for how to backup your ROM and data and how to flash it back!

This was a lot of work to figure out as well as work around bugs I found in the 2.1 tool. While this is not a simple one click backup, my instructions will walk you through the process step by step making it easy. When you read the instructions you might think "OMG this is too difficult"! Trust me, it's not really just a lot of steps repeated. Once you do it the first time you will see how easy it was.

I have tested this on my Pipo M9 Pro, Tronsmart T428, CX-919.

Enjoy and here is the download:

TOOL -> RK device backup tool with full instructions (2 megs)

Bob
    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Hi Bob

The new http://vondroid.com/threads/rk3xxx-f...overony.14718/ tool has a Rockchip Parameter file editor which works realy good.

With it you can change images(kernel, boot, system etc.) size in megabytes and it automatically changes the offsets of the images if you change the size.

Comment

Thanks Finless and Mo,

I figured out how to dump the images myself this morning. I see some significant differences between my RK3188's image start addresses and what Bob's flashing tool uses. For instance, my system.img start address is 0x00284000, instead of 0x00484000, and my recovery.img start address is 0x00014000 instead of 0x00010000. I assume users should modify the flash tool's start addresses?
      MK808 w/Omegamoon kernel, CWM recovery, & Finless 1.7 ROM

Comment

Originally posted by exglynco View Post
        Thanks Finless and Mo,

I figured out how to dump the images myself this morning. I see some significant differences between my RK3188's image start addresses and what Bob's flashing tool uses. For instance, my system.img start address is 0x00284000, instead of 0x00484000, and my recovery.img start address is 0x00014000 instead of 0x00010000. I assume users should modify the flash tool's start addresses?
        The flash tool reads the parameter file if there is one. If there is not one, then those starts will be incorrect!

For flashing a back up DO NOT CHANGE IT. Follow my instructions for dumping your parameter file from NAND so you have it.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by mo123 View Post
          Hi Bob

The new http://vondroid.com/threads/rk3xxx-f...overony.14718/ tool has a Rockchip Parameter file editor which works realy good.

With it you can change images(kernel, boot, system etc.) size in megabytes and it automatically changes the offsets of the images if you change the size.
          Yes I know that tool but it wont backup NAND which is that this 2.1 tool and my instructions do.

Bob

Comment

Thx Bob! Great guide! I really enjoyed the small lecture about nand and the parameter file and can't wait to test this new backup method :-D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Great work, Bob...works like a charm!!!!!

Is there any up side to switching to this flash tool in our ROM Kit's?
              Randy
              Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
              Read my BIO Here
              Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
              Donate here

Comment

wow

I have been wanting such a tool since I got into this stuff over a year ago - way to go bob.

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                  Great work, Bob...works like a charm!!!!!

Is there any up side to switching to this flash tool in our ROM Kit's?
                  Not really but some of my up coming ROMs I will probably use it. But in the end its not really better than 1.37 for flashing.... In fact it has bugs for flashing as I state in my readme.

Bob

Comment

Have tried this tool just for fun as I do backups using dd from adb shell or rkflashkit from Linux.
                    It's not faster then dd and even more, do not know was that this program or just rebooting into bootloader the case. After that I have Android update on every restart and all the icons added to quick panel since that disappear after reboot.

Comment

Great tool

I have used this to dump an Emmerson 10" rk2928.. the file sizes match a dd I did prior and I have been looking at other ""tools" to have an alternative reference ..this works great !!

I have not flashed yet as I have already rooted this device and may have some questions regarding doing a factory reset.. to get a factory dump.. using this method

I have learned more about android devices on this forum more than any other including years on XDA.. roms for my phone.

I have tried win7 with Ubuntu 12.04 in VB... Ubuntu 12.04 64bit with win7 in VB... Mint.... Xubuntu.(which seems to have worked the best)... the long way around.. and made the most progress here

Learning alot .. which was my main goal

After I study the hex to dec directions and a few other items I may have a few questions...

Thanks for this tool Bob

Kevan

Comment

Originally posted by kevanfl1234 View Post

Thanks for this tool Bob

Kevan
                        I did not make the tool RockChip did. I simply tested it 18 ways from Sunday and the documented how to use it.

Trust this will become a major way for me to backup, make a ROM, flash, and restore!
                        It will be extremely helpful for me as a Dev. Not sure how others will decide to use it or not.

The biggest thing is this will for SURE allow you to dump a stock ROM on a device! That has always been a problem because most tools require root access to begin with and then the ROM is no longer stock.

Bob

Comment

I can vouch for this tool. I did my stock ROM dump, and attempted to load Finless 1.7a for the MK908ii on my oddball RK3188 device. It wouldn't boot, so I restored the stock ROM with userdata, and am back up and running with all apps and data restored.
                          MK808 w/Omegamoon kernel, CWM recovery, & Finless 1.7 ROM

Comment

Hey Bob, nice tool, nice guide, very easy to use with your easy instructions!!

Thank your for that!!
                            Donations are welcome and will be shared with other devs:

DONATIONS

CX-921 TV-Box without Bluetooth (RK3188 / RTL8188 Wifi), CX-921b TV-Box (RK3188T / AP6210 Wifi), T428 TV Stick (RK3188 / AP6330 Wifi), CX919 TV Stick (RK3188 / AP6210 Wifi)

Comment

Hi Bob, I couldn't download the zip:The requested URL /finless/rk_tool21_how_to.zip was not found on this server.
                              I'll try again later

edit: oh sh...., I just saw what's happend

http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...-Server-Status
                              Last edited by Molle; 02-02-2014, 01:54. Reason: Administrative action

Comment

Working...
                              X