some important tools for RK ROM Devs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• some important tools for RK ROM Devs

I've been meaning to post this for a while.

As so far I've only worked rk chipsets this is rk dominated but thought I'd post this. It's a basic start, each of these tools could probably have a post or even a thread of it's own. I'll try and revisit this and extend the commentary on each tool and add more as appropriate.

I hope it's of some use, you never know it may stop me asking Bob the same question repeatedly as I've forgotten (it's a bugger getting old).

rkunpack use this to unpack backup.img files. A component of rkutils.

Usage
    rkunpack backupfile

link to post with download of rkutils

unpack_all.sh use this to unpack an update.img file. A component of rkutils.

Usage
    unpack_all.sh update.img destinationfolder

rkcrc add an rk cyclic redundancy check to the beginning of a file. A part of rkutils.

usage
    rkcrc -k sourcefile destfile

split_bootimg.pl Splits an image into kernel and one or more ramdisks. Needed for some Boot and recovery img files

usage
    split_bootimg.pl boot.img

download here

rkflashtool flash, read, write or reboot your tab, units are blocks of 512

Usage
    rkflashtool r offset length >destfile
    rkflashtool w offset length <sourcefile
    rkflashtool b

examples (read a kernel, write a kernel and reboot)
    rkflashtool r 0x4000 0x4000 >kernel.img
    rkflashtool w 0x4000 0x4000 <kernel.img
    rkflashtool b

NB while these are the same values used in the parameter file the order is switched

See this thread on XDA-Developers for the source and some good info on using it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1286305

Oh and lot's of linux, shell scipting, a bit of python, perl and java would come in handy.

I hope it's of some use, you never know it may stop me asking Bob the same question repeatedly as I've forgotten (it's a bugger getting old).
    900Supersport

900supersports FreakTab rkROMkitchen

900supersports guide to working-RK-ROMs

Under Construction 900supersports guide to working MediaTek ROMS

Struggling for time at the moment, but will try and drop by when I can.

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Proof that you're never to old to learn. Sometimes too old to remember though.

Compiling the tools

I'm just setting up a new laptop with 64 bit ubuntu so have had to download and re-compile these tools to work and thought I would post how I did it. I'm no expert when it comes to compiling c code but manage.

1st up rkflashtool I downloaded the V2 source from xda-devopers and modified the source for rk3066 and 3188, any text editor will do, look through for the lines below

Code:
        if (!(h = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(c, 0x2207, 0x290a)))
            if (!(h = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(c, 0x2207, 0x281a)))
                fatal("cannot open device\n");
    and change as follows

Code:
        if (!(h = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(c, 0x2207, 0x300a)))
            if (!(h = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(c, 0x2207, 0x310b)))
                fatal("cannot open device\n");
    Save and we are ready for compile. Following the instructions from the first post on XDA we need to cd to the folder and enter

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
    gcc -o rkflashtool rkflashtool.c -lusb-1.0 -O2 -W -Wall -s
    The first line gets and installs libusb-1.0.0-dev this is the usb library the code is built against. the second line compiles to the .c to an executable. For more info check the man page on gcc. I then copied the binary to an rktools folder, I like to keep the tools all in one place :-).

Now onto rktools. Again download and unzip. Inspecting the contents of the unzipped folder I see some .c and .h files and also a Makefile. Opening the Makefile with an editor

Code:
    CC=gcc
    CFLAGS := -g -O2 -DUSE_OPENSSL
    LDLIBS := -lcrypto

TARGETS = afptool img_maker img_unpack rkkernel rkcrc
    SOURCES = afptool.c img_maker.c img_unpack.c rkkernel.c
    OBJECTS = afptool img_maker img_unpack rkkernel rkcrc
    PREFIX=/usr/local/bin

all: $(TARGETS)

afptool:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o afptool afptool.c $(LDLIBS)

img_maker:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o img_maker img_maker.c $(LDLIBS)

img_unpack:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o img_unpack img_unpack.c $(LDLIBS)

rkkernel:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkkernel rkkernel.c $(LDLIBS)

rkcrc:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkcrc rkcrc.c $(LDLIBS)

clean: 
    	rm -rf $(OBJECTS) 

install:
    	install -m 0755 afptool $(PREFIX)/afptool
    	install -m 0755 img_maker $(PREFIX)/img_maker
    	install -m 0755 img_unpack $(PREFIX)/img_unpack
    	install -m 0755 rkkernel $(PREFIX)/rkkernel
    	install -m 0755 rkcrc $(PREFIX)/rkcrc
    This is a set of instructions to automatically make the binaries and by the looks of things install them to usr/local/bin. I prefer to have the tools in a central folder and create symlinks in usr/lib/bin. To facilitate this I have deleted the install section.

To build the tools cd to the folder and enter

Code:
    make
    this should make the binaries according to the make file. You may get some warnings but there should be no errors. If you do get errors it's likely you are missing libraries. A search on google will normally turn up details of the required packages. these can be installed either using apt-get or the Ubuntu Software Centre.

Finally onto rkutils. Again download and unzip. This time I see no Makefile so I copied and edited the makefile from above. My Makefile is as follows.

Code:
    CC=gcc
    CFLAGS := -g -O2 -DUSE_OPENSSL
    LDLIBS := -lcrypto

TARGETS = rkafpack rkcrc rkdump rkflash rkunpack
    SOURCES = rkafpack.c rkcrc.c rkdump.c rkflash.c rkunpack.c
    OBJECTS = rkafpack rkcrc rkdump rkflash rkunpack

all: $(TARGETS)

rkafpack:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkafpack rkafpack.c $(LDLIBS)

rkcrc:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkcrc rkcrc.c $(LDLIBS)

rkdump:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkdump rkdump.c $(LDLIBS)

rkflash:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkflash rkflash.c $(LDLIBS)

rkunpack:
    	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -o rkunpack rkunpack.c $(LDLIBS)

clean: 
    	rm -rf $(OBJECTS)
    Make this and copy as above.

Hope this is of some use.
    900Supersport

If you would like to support my ROM development then please visit my Google site donate page where you can make a paypal donation

freaktab developer

Comment

Hi 900Supersport,

Wondering if I could pick your brain a little please.

I am in the process of setting up the kitchen but am stumbling into problem and I don't understand what they mean. I am running Ubuntu 64Bit on a VMware install.

During the compiling of the rkflashtool after I have edited the .c file as you state I receive the following error:
      Code:
      blinky@ubuntu:~$ sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
      [sudo] password for blinky: 
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree       
      Reading state information... Done
      libusb-1.0-0-dev is already the newest version.
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

blinky@ubuntu:~/Downloads$ gcc -o rkflashtool rkflashtool.c -lusb-1.0 -O2 -W -Wall -s
      rkflashtool.c: In function ‘main’:
      rkflashtool.c:161:18: warning: ignoring return value of ‘write’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
      rkflashtool.c:171:17: warning: ignoring return value of ‘read’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
      After that could you clear up what you mean may you have removed the install commands in the rktools makefile, did you install these, if so how? Or can I leave the makefile as it is?

After this part I tried the rk-tools and received this error:
      Code:
      blinky@ubuntu:~/Downloads/rk-tools-master$ make
      gcc -g -O2 -DUSE_OPENSSL -o afptool afptool.c -lcrypto
      /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto
      collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
      make: *** [afptool] Error 1
      Again I have no idea what this means.

Now I am not completely at a loss as I have managed to unpack the image for my Hudl into the separate images and then transfer them onto the virtual machine and have even been able to access the images using your kitchen

I do have some questions regarding the kitchen but figure it would be better if I get everything setup before venturing down that path.

I fully understand if you don't have the time to answer the questions and I will admit I have very little knowledge of linux, but I have a hankering for getting a complete custom rom with custom kernel up and running on the Hudl. It's not a bad piece of kit and could be made to run really well if someone puts some time into it.

If you could shed some light and are willing to guide me a little I would be grateful,

Cheers in advance,

Blinky

Comment

I'll try and answer these questions later tonight, may have to go out and do family stuff though.

In brief I think you have rkflashtool ok as just warnings.

lcrpto will need installing, time for google.

I removed the instal lines from the make file so I can control the final location.

As far as my kitchen goes rkflashtool is nice to have.

rkcrc and rkunpack are required. I've just implemented both of these in python and will be updating the kitchen shortly to use these to reduce the need for compilation.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk
        900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

for the lcrypto error try installing GNOME crypto services from the ubuntu Software Centre
          900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Cheers, will have a look into the crypto tomorrow night, just finished work and got uni tomorrow.

Will have a look and see if it solves the problem.

Cheers

Blinky

Comment

hey 900supersport - quick one

Originally posted by 900supersport View Post
              for the lcrypto error try installing GNOME crypto services from the ubuntu Software Centre
              I am having software issues with my PipoM9Ppro. I have used RileyRoms (1.3 - 2.1) and I still have issues where the RockChip MultiWindow just turns on itself. Plus I just dont like it or want to use it.
              Can I and How Can I rmove this RK system app saftely?

Thanks
              PipoM9Pro
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Comment

Have you tried editing build prop, change the following to false and see if that sorts the issue.

ro.rk.multi_window=true
                900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

thanks supersport 900, just changed it---rebooted...hope it works... appreciate it man....how's the ducati going....(love bikes)

Dispatcher: QuadCore M9Pro Powered by a FreakTab Custom ROM
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

Comment

The Ducati goes well thanks, though not ideal for winter.
                    900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

not in the build prop

Have you tried editing build prop, change the following to false and see if that sorts the issue.

ro.rk.multi_window=true
                      Hey SuperSport900.
                      I have looked high and low many times in the build prop and that line rk.multi_window=true
                      Does not exist in my build prop (Pipo M9 PRo with Finless 1.4 latest ROM).

Any thoughts!

Comment

Originally posted by PipoM9Pro View Post
                        Hey SuperSport900.
                        I have looked high and low many times in the build prop and that line rk.multi_window=true
                        Does not exist in my build prop (Pipo M9 PRo with Finless 1.4 latest ROM).

Any thoughts!
                        I did add that line in build.prop for my 1.4 ROM so your missing it.

Bob
                        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I'll try and answer these questions later tonight, may have to go out and do family stuff though.

In brief I think you have rkflashtool ok as just warnings.

lcrpto will need installing, time for google.

I removed the instal lines from the make file so I can control the final location.

As far as my kitchen goes rkflashtool is nice to have.

rkcrc and rkunpack are required. I've just implemented both of these in python and will be updating the kitchen shortly to use these to reduce the need for compilation.

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk

apt-get install libssl-dev
                          should resolve the -lcrypto error.

Comment

how can i use these commands

I've been meaning to post this for a while.

As so far I've only worked rk chipsets this is rk dominated but thought I'd post this. It's a basic start, each of these tools could probably have a post or even a thread of it's own. I'll try and revisit this and extend the commentary on each tool and add more as appropriate.

rkunpack use this to unpack backup.img files. A component of rkutils.

Usage
                            rkunpack backupfile

link to post with download of rkutils

unpack_all.sh use this to unpack an update.img file. A component of rkutils.

Usage
                            unpack_all.sh update.img destinationfolder

rkcrc add an rk cyclic redundancy check to the beginning of a file. A part of rkutils.

usage
                            rkcrc -k sourcefile destfile

split_bootimg.pl Splits an image into kernel and one or more ramdisks. Needed for some Boot and recovery img files

usage
                            split_bootimg.pl boot.img

download here

rkflashtool flash, read, write or reboot your tab, units are blocks of 512

Usage
                            rkflashtool r offset length >destfile
                            rkflashtool w offset length <sourcefile
                            rkflashtool b

examples (read a kernel, write a kernel and reboot)
                            rkflashtool r 0x4000 0x4000 >kernel.img
                            rkflashtool w 0x4000 0x4000 <kernel.img
                            rkflashtool b

NB while these are the same values used in the parameter file the order is switched

See this thread on XDA-Developers for the source and some good info on using it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1286305

Oh and lot's of linux, shell scipting, a bit of python, perl and java would come in handy.

Sir.
                            How can I use these commands on window 7 ? can i backup rom when my tablet is hang on logo and not working and could restore backup firmware again ?

Comment

Unless otherwise indicated these tools are Linux specific. If the tablet is hung at the boot logo i don't think you will be able to extract a backup.
                              900Supersport

freaktab developer

Comment

Working...
                              X