Announcement

Collapse

OUKITEL K6000 Plus Giveaway

You can search for some eggs these days or hide some for your children,
but you won't like to miss the FreakTab Easter Giveaway Action sponsored by EFOX.

Click here to Enter --> https://goo.gl/W6voQw
See more
See less

Hacking the A95X S905X

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hacking the A95X S905X

Just received my first box a few days ago and decided I didnt like the original images or homepage menu at the top so I started diving right into modifying it.

Ive got the rom to the point that I can factory reset and all of my apps, and app settings (including modified apk's) carry over to the factory restore.

So far I have only changed a visual things (SmartTv.apk). Im more into the background stuff that most wont see, right now. Seems to be going well.

Anyways, glad to be here. I hope to meet a few people who have similar interests.

Modified Upper Nav Bar. Kodi Image Change.

Kodi app holder can now be changed to another app.

Sector5 how did you manage to keep factory reset working... for the life of me i cant get it to work when i modify my firwares.. also would you mind posting a link to your base rom?

Comment

pigbait

I just simply KEEP twrp on the usb drive as "recovery.img". So.. the usb stick has basically twrp backups and recovery.img. I dont actually install twrp, I just boot it directly from the USB drive anytime I want to use it.

If I need to use twrp, I just:

1. Power down the device
      2. Stick in the USB (with twrp's recovery.img on it)
      3. Hold the reset button until in twrp (q-tip with one end cut off in the audio port).

This way I can use twrp without ever needing to install it or replace stock recovery/bootloader.

The first steps for customizing your OWN OS is as follows:

1. Do a clean, bone stock install of your box's recommended firmware if needed (In this case Im using nexbox's stock files)
      2. Place your USB with twrp's recovery.img file on the USB, into the device. (device turned off)
      3. Power up the device by using the QTip to press in the reset button (hold until usb drive flashes if it has a light, or until you see twrp menu if the drive has no light)
      4. Get into the menu, select "Backup" > Select destination of Backup to USB drive > Back up that stock rom (Use mouse for swiping and selecting menu items)

You now have a copy of your rom that you can edit using various tools like 7zip, APK Easy Tool (1.36 in my case).

Grabbing and Replacing APK's to/from the ROM:

For 7zip, you just simply right click system.ext4.win and select "Open Archive". From there you can pull files from 7zip interface > straight to your desktop. When you are done editing that, you simply do the same except this time you drag the edited file back INTO the 7zip interface.

Again, for editing APK's I use APK Easy Tool 1.36. You can unpack, edit files and then repack, keeping its original signature intact of course.

From there you can go back into twrp from the usb drive, wipe everything except that particular USB drive and reinstall your edited rom.

NOW, anytime you do a factory reboot using the devices stock recovery, your edited ROM will factory install from scratch every time. (Either through Settings > Storage & Reset > Factory Reset or Holding down QTip from power down WITHOUT that USB in)

Editing OS Live from inside OS:

You can edit the OS live also, using "ES File Manager" from the playstore. By moving apk's that you want to install anytime I restore the device, into the "/system/pre-app" folder. Then anytime you do a factory restore from inside the OS (Settings > Storage & Reset > Factory Data Reset), or even from the stock recovery (QTip), your apps will auto install.

ES File Manager can also help in uninstalling unneeded system apps like

1."Browser" (I use Chrome as default)
      2. "File Browser" (I use ES)
      3. "Device Test", Device test video file (removing video saves around 30MB in system folder)
      4. kodi jarvis (Since kodi krypton is being installed) and its addon folders and kodi.zip (from /data/media)
      5. Editing presintall.sh (located in /system/bin). Etc

I will update this post with some files later tonight.

Files:

Install Stock Rom + Tools:

1. SD Tool (Making SD card bootable vs having to connect to device through usb cable)

https://mega.nz/#!kWBGVQBD!1Rif-27i9...ZCyToUO-xlLSPE

2. Stock NexBox Rom (With large app icon on home page menu, being editable)

https://mega.nz/#!lfpE3aJZ!Jx4nb7WEn...4l9Gp6zWlxEaNA

TWRP recovery.img (For live booting from usb):

https://mega.nz/#!lK4zlLJZ!bhrD0zzI0...7186cvFqo8_aZQ

Sector5 ROM for Nexbox A95X/S905X 2GB/8GB:

(May work on 2GB/16GB, Not sure though)

Includes:

Edits to Menu/Navbar, Some Icons (SmartTv.apk)
      Removal of roughly 250MB worth on uneeded system apps & old kodi.zip
      Kodi Krypton
      ES File Manager
      Chrome
      HappyChick Gaming (Tv version is available but not as extensive as the one included)
      Removal of old kodi jarvis
      Edits to /system/bin/preinstall.sh
      Netflix
      Hulu
      Youtube TV Version (Works with remote control)

*To remove any of these from installing at a system recovery, simply remove the APK from /system/pre-app using ES File Manager app

ROM:

https://mega.nz/#!QTYSVBSC!V5ZNR-OcP...ObNpR2bd2D3C2s

Requires TWRP on a USB stick (recovery.img above) LIVE BOOT into TWRP from USB (No need to install TWRP)

Once installed, If doing a factory reset, for Kodi Krypton, you will need to:

Go into ES File Manager App
      Set it to allow root access (left hand menu)
      Navigate to Local > /System/Kodi/ and install Kodi

You can then set Kodi as the large app icon.

DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY KODI ADDONS. Does not include addons or anything which allows illegal streaming. If you want that you will have to add those to Kodi. Remember Kodi is just a media manager/media center to easily navigate your legally obtained content. If anyone adds the bad stuff, thats your responsibility.

The changes are primarily in the Menu System (Home, Media, Games, Social, Settings), wording & a few Icons. More changes might come as I play around with it.

ROM Install (Rough walkthrough):

Unpack using winrar on your pc, select "Extract Here"
      Take the Bareback.1.7 folder and add it to a USB drive
      Add recovery.img to same USB drive
      Power down device
      Plug in USB
      Cut the end off a QTip or similar, put it into the Audio port
      Push the QTip until it activates the internal reset switch and hold until TWRP menu comes in view
      Click "Wipe" and advance wipe everything except for the USB drive
      Click "Home" button on bottom of screen
      Click "Restore", navigate to USB drive and select the Bareback.1.7 folder.

If your device doesnt have an internal reset button, you will need to create an empty Update.zip file and put that on the USB also. Go into Android > Backup & Update App > Click button "Select" and select the Update.zip file on the USB. Then click "Update". That should boot you into the USB and hopefully TWRP (recovery.img). I have not tested that method though.
      Last edited by Sector5; 04-16-2017, 01:43.

Comment

Hi Sector5 ,

a small Hint for your Hint with the Info how to delete SystemApps ,

after i debloated a installed Rom like that , i use the App "ClearCache"

to delete the still existing "DalvikCacheFiles" of the deleted Apps .

is "Debloating" not better then the "Hacking" Title .

have a nice Day

gefattern
        Last edited by gefattern; 04-13-2017, 20:46. Reason: corrections

Comment

gefattern

Hi,

I just used title "Hacking" because Im hacking up Nexbox's oem launcher (SmartTv.apk), playing around with it when I have spare time. The launcher is what really interests me at this point.

As far as the cache, you can get rid of all this using the wipe feature of twrp also, before making any backups or factory resets. I havent really looked into the DalvikCacheFiles of android as Im new to this, however I believe ES File Manager has this sort of cleanup feature also. Not 100% sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sector5 View Post
            pigbait

I just simply KEEP twrp on the usb drive as "recovery.img". So.. the usb stick has basically twrp backups and recovery.img. I dont actually install twrp, I just boot it directly from the USB drive anytime I want to use it.

If I need to use twrp, I just:

1. Power down the device
            2. Stick in the USB (with twrp's recovery.img on it)
            3. Hold the reset button until in twrp (q-tip with one end cut off in the audio port).

This way I can use twrp without ever needing to install it or replace stock recovery/bootloader.

The first steps for customizing OS is as follows:

1. Do a clean, bone stock install of your box's recommended firmware if needed (In this case Im using nexbox's stock files)
            2. Place your USB with twrp's recovery.img file on the USB, into the device. (device turned off)
            3. Power up the device by using the QTip to press in the reset button (hold until usb drive flashes if it has a light, or until you see twrp menu if the drive has no light)
            4. Get into the menu, select "Backup" > Select destination of Backup to USB drive > Back up that stock rom (Use mouse for swiping and selecting menu items)

You now have a copy of your rom that you can edit using various tools like 7zip, APK Easy Tool (1.36 in my case).

Grabbing and Replacing APK's to/from the ROM:

For 7zip, you just simply right click system.ext4.win and select "Open Archive". From there you can pull files from 7zip interface > straight to your desktop. When you are done editing that, you simply do the same except this time you drag the edited file back INTO the 7zip interface.

Again, for editing APK's I use APK Easy Tool 1.36. You can unpack, edit files and then repack, keeping its original signature intact of course.

From there you can go back into twrp from the usb drive, wipe everything except that particular USB drive and reinstall your edited rom.

NOW, anytime you do a factory reboot using the devices stock recovery, your edited ROM will factory install from scratch every time. (Either through Settings > Storage & Reset > Factory Reset or Holding down QTip from power down WITHOUT that USB in)

Editing OS Live from inside OS:

You can edit the OS live also, using "ES File Manager" from the playstore. By moving apk's that you want to install anytime I restore the device, into the "/system/pre-app" folder. Then anytime you do a factory restore from inside the OS (Settings > Storage & Reset > Factory Data Reset), or even from the stock recovery (QTip), your apps will auto install.

ES File Manager can also help in uninstalling unneeded system apps like

1."Browser" (I use Chrome as default)
            2. "File Browser" (I use ES)
            3. "Device Test", Device test video file (removing video saves around 30MB in system folder)
            4. kodi jarvis (Since kodi krypton is being installed) and its addon folders and kodi.zip (from /data/media)
            5. Editing presintall.sh (located in /system/bin). Etc

I will update this post with some files later tonight.

Files:

Install Stock Rom + Tools:

1. SD Tool (Making SD card bootable vs having to connect to device through usb cable)

https://mega.nz/#!kWBGVQBD!1Rif-27i9...ZCyToUO-xlLSPE

2. Stock NexBox Rom (With large app icon on home page menu, being editable)

https://mega.nz/#!lfpE3aJZ!Jx4nb7WEn...4l9Gp6zWlxEaNA

TWRP recovery.img (For live booting from usb):

https://mega.nz/#!lK4zlLJZ!bhrD0zzI0...7186cvFqo8_aZQ

Sector5 ROM for Nexbox A95X/S905X 2GB/8GB:

(May work on 2GB/16GB, Not sure though)

Includes:

Edits to Menu/Navbar, Some Icons (SmartTv.apk)
            Removal of roughly 250MB worth on uneeded system apps & old kodi.zip
            Kodi Krypton
            ES File Manager
            Chrome
            HappyChick Gaming (Tv version is available but not as extensive as the one included)
            Removal of old kodi jarvis
            Edits to /system/bin/preinstall.sh
            Netflix
            Hulu
            Youtube TV Version (Works with remote control)

*To remove any of these from installing at a system recovery, simply remove the APK from /system/pre-app using ES File Manager app

*To Install kodi krypton, simply open ES and you will see the apk ready for install on the home page of ES. Attempts to place Kodi into /system/pre-app folder for autoinstall have failed so far because the kodi icon for some reason doesnt show up in apps. So I have edited preinstall.sh to unpack kodi apk for easy manual install. Actually I may change that tonight to something better.

*To make kodi your main app on the home menu, you just install kodi, reboot the system (hold power button on remote) and from there you can long hold on the large app icon to connect it to kodi or any other app.

Link incoming.
            I guess this would need to be done on every box? when i try to take my backup from TWRP to another box it doesnt see it..

Comment

pigbait

See post #9 below

http://freaktab.com/forum/developmen...485#post641485
              Last edited by Sector5; 04-16-2017, 02:41.

Comment

Added Sector5 Rom above.

ROM:

https://mega.nz/#!QTYSVBSC!V5ZNR-OcP...ObNpR2bd2D3C2s

Requires TWRP on a USB stick (recovery.img above) LIVE BOOT into TWRP from USB (No need to install TWRP)

Once installed, If doing a factory reset, for Kodi Krypton, you will need to:

Go into ES File Manager App
                Set it to allow root access (left hand menu)
                Navigate to Local > /System/Kodi/ and install Kodi

You can then set Kodi as the large app icon.

DOES NOT INCLUDE ANY KODI ADDONS. Does not include addons or anything which allows illegal streaming. If you want that you will have to add those to Kodi. Remember Kodi is just a media manager/media center to easily navigate your legally obtained content. If anyone adds the bad stuff, thats your responsibility.

The changes are primarily in the Menu System (Home, Media, Games, Social, Settings), wording & a few Icons. More changes might come as I play around with it.

ROM Install (Rough walkthrough):

Unpack using winrar on your pc, select "Extract Here"
                Take the Bareback.1.7 folder and add it to a USB drive
                Add recovery.img to same USB drive
                Power down device
                Plug in USB
                Cut the end off a QTip or similar, put it into the Audio port
                Push the QTip until it activates the internal reset switch and hold until TWRP menu comes in view
                Click "Wipe" and advance wipe everything except for the USB drive
                Click "Home" button on bottom of screen
                Click "Restore", navigate to USB drive and select the Bareback.1.7 folder.

If your device doesnt have an internal reset button, you will need to create an empty Update.zip file and put that on the USB also. Go into Android > Backup & Update App > Click button "Select" and select the Update.zip file on the USB. Then click "Update". That should boot you into the USB and hopefully TWRP (recovery.img). I have not tested that method though.

Comment

pigbait

Here is what you do to add backups to OTHER devices of same spec.

Boot into TWRP from USB drive on the OTHER device you want to put a new ROM on and simply create a backup. This will create a backup folder for that device.

Now you just take your USB & preferred "rom/nand backup" and stick it in that folder created. Now that new device will see the preferred ROM/NAND backup.

I dont know much about TWRP right now, but it seems you have to create that folder first. Something about serial number of that device matching the folder name.

Comment

Working...
                  X