Initial boot screen?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Initial boot screen?

I've been looking into how to replace the initial boot screen on my Arnova 10 G2 Philly Inq. To clarify, I'm not talking about replacing the boot logo (i.e. initlogo.rle), the boot animation (i.e. system/media/bootanimation.zip), or even the default wallpaper (i.e. framework-res/res/drawable/default_wallpaper.jpg)

When I first power on the device, it still says "ARNOVA", just like the "ARNOVA_welcome_screen.png" from framework-res/assets/images, but I can't find where it's loading that one from. I'm assuming at this point it's stuffed in a binary, but also can't find which one.

Anyone figured this out? Sorry if it's been answered here already, I ran some searches, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

thanks,
    -Neill.

I have not figured it out myself! I thought it was in the kernel somehow because when I would flash other tablet ROMs for testing it would change.

However Miklaus did find out how. I have not asked him yet how he did it.

Maybe he will explain. I will ping him.

Bob
    "Przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Прости их, ибо не ведают, что творят"
    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
    "Perdónalos porque no saben lo que hacen"
    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
    "Atyám, bocsásd meg nekik, mert nem tudják mit cselekszenek!"
    "Odpusť jim, neboť nevědí, co činí"
    "Πάτερ άφες αυτοίς, ού γάρ οίδασι τί ποιούσι"
    "Ojcze, przebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

Originally posted by Finless View Post
      I have not figured it out myself! I thought it was in the kernel somehow because when I would flash other tablet ROMs for testing it would change.

However Miklaus did find out how. I have not asked him yet how he did it.

Maybe he will explain. I will ping him.

Bob
      Ah, ok, good to know! I think the kernel is definitely a possibility. Please let me know what Miklaus has found when you know!

thanks,
      -Neill.

Comment

Actually I lied. He did not find that initial boot screen. I thought he did but I see it's still there.

Anyway I think it is in the kernel and the reason why is when I flash other ROMs like the Polaroid for testing, the Arnova gets replaced. Playing around shows ONLY when kernel.img is flashed does it change. So I think it is burried in the kernel.

Bob

Comment

Actually I lied. He did not find that initial boot screen. I thought he did but I see it's still there.

Anyway I think it is in the kernel and the reason why is when I flash other ROMs like the Polaroid for testing, the Arnova gets replaced. Playing around shows ONLY when kernel.img is flashed does it change. So I think it is burried in the kernel.

Bob
          Oh no, so it's looking hopeless for the moment ... Guessing no more kernel progress? :-)

-Neill.

Comment

Bob you can know if the bootlogo is in the kernel, if as you say when you flashed the rom of Polaroid, the bootlogo has changed, to know for sure if it is in the kernel, you have to re-flash this rom, but this time with your kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by Miklaus View Post
              Bob you can know if the bootlogo is in the kernel, if as you say when you flashed the rom of Polaroid, the bootlogo has changed, to know for sure if it is in the kernel, you have to re-flash this rom, but this time with your kernel.
              True, would be good to know. BTW, does anyone have information on the bootloader on this device? Something's obviously loading the bootloader, which loads the other pieces on power on, and I'm curious about that process as well.

Also, I know the kernel is more or less a binary blob in terms of usability at the moment (w/o source), but is there an archive of other kernels that are bootable on this hardware (Arnova 10 G2)? Of course I don't mean with everything supported, just something that technically boots that I could play with?

thanks,
              -Neill.

Comment

Bob
                In case you still weren't sure, it's 100% stored in the kernel. I've compiled a few other kernels and booted them and none of them have the stock arnova logo ... they also didn't support the hardware of the arnova, but hey ;-)

And while I haven't found a way to replace that initial boot screen (since we'd need a kernel that operates properly first, or some ninja hex edits), I've found that you can remove the logo by adding the following to the parameter file: "logo.nologo"

So for example, if your parameter file has "CMDLINE: console=ttyS1,115200n8n androidboot.console=ttyS1 init=..." or whatever, you can simply add that in there so that it's something like "CMDLINE: console=ttyS1,115200n8n logo.nologo androidboot.console=ttyS1 init=..." instead.

Only downside is that it appears that it also removes your custom bootscreen if you've made one, and it skips right to the bootanimation (if available). Will have to look into that a bit more ...

Comment

You can actually kind of find the image in the kernel. When looking at the kernel in a HEX editor images always look like a common "pattern" of data skewd sideways each row. It's pretty easy to see where the image is in the kernel. Hard part is finding the exect start and stop bytes! So it would be messing around with a hex editor and trial and error.

bob

Comment

You can actually kind of find the image in the kernel. When looking at the kernel in a HEX editor images always look like a common "pattern" of data skewd sideways each row. It's pretty easy to see where the image is in the kernel. Hard part is finding the exect start and stop bytes! So it would be messing around with a hex editor and trial and error.

bob
                    Wow Bob I bet you could read the Matrix!!

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
                    Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Comment

Originally posted by Damo View Post
                      Wow Bob I bet you could read the Matrix!!
                      It was Bob that wrote it!

Comment

Originally posted by Gargoyle View Post
                        It was Bob that wrote it!
                        Bob is our very own morpheus , hehe

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
                        Please consider donating to purchase tablets for Finless Bob to continue his work. This will help in the creation of custom roms and build an even stronger development base for our community. Thank you for you support!

PLEASE CLICK THE DONATE BUTTON BELOW

Comment

Has anyone tried to change this line in the file init.rc?
                          # setup the global environment
                          export ANDROID_BOOTLOGO 1

Do you think that changing the 1 to 0 removes the initial boot logo?Or the system will look for the ANDROID_BOOTLOGO 0 in the kernel and create a boot loop?

Comment

Originally posted by Miklaus View Post
                            Has anyone tried to change this line in the file init.rc?
                            # setup the global environment
                            export ANDROID_BOOTLOGO 1

Do you think that changing the 1 to 0 removes the initial boot logo?Or the system will look for the ANDROID_BOOTLOGO 0 in the kernel and create a boot loop?
                            I have seen that but not tried to change that yet myself.

Bob

Comment

bob
                              Yep, like I said, ninja hex edits ;-)

It was easy enough to change some apps in system/bin, or file path locations here and there, but a compressed image inside of a compressed kernel? Not my priority for now anyway ...

It also kind of defeats the purpose of being a Linux kernel -- it's unfortunate that it resorts to binary modification, but I guess that's the way it goes for now ...

Comment

Working...
                              X