Announcement

Collapse

OUKITEL K6000 Plus Giveaway

You can search for some eggs these days or hide some for your children,
but you won't like to miss the FreakTab Easter Giveaway Action sponsored by EFOX.

Click here to Enter --> https://goo.gl/W6voQw
See more
See less

Vexilar SonarPhone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vexilar SonarPhone

Has anyone tried the Vexilar SonarPhone app and the related devices?

http://vexilar.com/info/sonarphone-m...h-sounder-app/

Originally posted by TurtleRiverLake View Post
    Has anyone tried the Vexilar SonarPhone app and the related devices?

http://vexilar.com/info/sonarphone-m...h-sounder-app/
    I don't have any experience with it, but I love the concept. If it comes at a reasonable price, I'd be happy to try it out.
    Freakbox V1 F/W 1.0.6
    Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML Stock (rooted)
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Nolekat 2.2 custom ROM
    Asus TF300T Cyanogenmod 11 Snapshot M12
    Archos 35 Home Connect Stock 2.3.4

Comment

I've been waiting for something like this a long time

This would go great with my depth mapping system, I can link my Nexus 7 to my homebrew chartplotter via Bluetooth. I'm seriously contemplating making a bigger float for it and adding a Bluetooth GPS. I'm working on a large project mapping a new lake that's currently filling up just a few miles from me and this will come in handy

Thanks for bringing this to my attention

Netbook2chartplotter Project

Comment

Vexilar SonarPhone

It is so high for me that i can not try it.

Comment

Sorry to hear that .... Just to replace the transducer on my Lowrance unit would cost me $100 and this came in at $130. I had it for about a week now but could only test it in the bathtub so far because right now open water is rare in Iowa USA (Although we did get some thawing and rain the past couple of days)

Even using a bathtub though told me what I needed to know about the unit. The WiFi in it is top notch with as much power as my home WiFi router when measured with some WiFi analyzers I have and while in the bathtub I could get a signal throughout my house which includes going through several floors or walls. Hooking an Android or Apple device to it is as easy as any other Hotspot which is basically what it is. It looked a little blocky on my Nexus 10 but that's unstandabnle on it's Super HD 1440p resolution but on the Nexus 7 (800p) it looks as good, maybe better than the color mode on my Lowrance unit (But not nearly as well as the Elite 7x's HDI mode which although monochrome is stunning) It also looks great on my Android phone with a 480p display and fits into the bonus armband style ... The Lowrance unit is also a 480p widescreen display (I'm all out of 4:3 aspect devices)

I bought this mainly to help depth map a new lake they built just north of me a few miles and also because I wanted a way to get an actual screen of what I'm seeing on the finder to embed into waypoints on my maps but other uses for me as a cat fisherman who targets trophy Flathead catfish will be just letting it float against a snag or logjam so I can see if there is a big one hiding down there as they like to do during the daylight hours.

Thanks to the person who pointed this out, I stumbled across it by accident checking to see if there were any new ROMs for my MK808B. I jumped on it because being a native Minnesotan I was familar with the name and the excellent reputation of Vexilar, These guys were the first to make a transducer that would shoot through the ice so you didn't have to drill a dozen dead holes to find fish. They also make some nice cameras with some built into the ice fishing sonar rigs. This unit has all the quality they put into all their other (mainly ice fishing) gear and I think they are going to have a huge hit on their hands as the tournament guys start picking these up. They would also make an excellent teaching tool for fishing seminars or even groups of children studying nature

I getting ready to do a big update of my blog showing off more of my boat and gear besides just the blogs namesake and as I map the new lake this summer rest assured I'll be posting some screen grabs from this new Vexilar unit (I upgraded both of my Nexus devices to Kitkat just for it's new screen grab/recording API)

If you are a TechnoGeek who likes to fish like I do or are interested in GPS and map making you should check out my blog, you won't be disappointed The Netbook2Chartplotter Project .... and here's a direct link to the netbook2chartplotter rig I built in 2010

Comment

I was so thrilled by the concept that I purchased an SP200 T-box for permanent installation in my sailboat. I am currently in the midst of installation with the transducer located inboard. Will post my experiences here. Instead of having to purchase either a very simple or a very expensive chartplotter/depth sounder, I am now creating my own machine using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T210, with Navionics for gps navigation and Sonar phone for depth sounding.
            Freakbox V1 F/W 1.0.6

Comment

Originally posted by Rockko View Post
              I was so thrilled by the concept that I purchased an SP200 T-box for permanent installation in my sailboat. I am currently in the midst of installation with the transducer located inboard. Will post my experiences here. Instead of having to purchase either a very simple or a very expensive chartplotter/depth sounder, I am now creating my own machine using a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 SM-T210, with Navionics for gps navigation and Sonar phone for depth sounding.

Very cool sounding! Yes please... Share pics and what not!

Bob
              "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
              "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
              "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
              "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
              "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
              "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
              "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
              "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
              "Forgive them as they know not what they do"

Comment

I converted a netbook into a chartplotter/depth plotter/custom map making system back in 2010. You can find the details on my blog

Android and Apple tablets are somewhat limited in their abilities (plus lack of software) at least for what I am doing so I recently got a great deal on a Lenovo business class tablet with a dual core Atom processor and a graphics pad overlay in addition to the much courser touch overlay for about the same price as my first netbook. It's running the 'Big Boy" version of Win 8.1 Pro, has the GPS built in so the only mods I have to make this time is adding a sma connector for a GPS antenna. Even without that it's basically 'plug and play' into my existing system since it has a separate power port plus a full sized, full function USB port instead of having both combined into a micro USB port like Android tabs or no USB at all like Apple pads

The Netbook2Chartplotter Project
                The Lost Grove Lake Mapping Project

I'll be blogging about the upgrade over the winter (For one thing I don't want to hack in the GPS antenna jack until just before I take it out next year so I don't affect the warranty until it is just about up

Comment

Originally posted by longjohn119 View Post
                  I converted a netbook into a chartplotter/depth plotter/custom map making system back in 2010. You can find the details on my blog

Android and Apple tablets are somewhat limited in their abilities (plus lack of software) at least for what I am doing so I recently got a great deal on a Lenovo business class tablet with a dual core Atom processor and a graphics pad overlay in addition to the much courser touch overlay for about the same price as my first netbook. It's running the 'Big Boy" version of Win 8.1 Pro, has the GPS built in so the only mods I have to make this time is adding a sma connector for a GPS antenna. Even without that it's basically 'plug and play' into my existing system since it has a separate power port plus a full sized, full function USB port instead of having both combined into a micro USB port like Android tabs or no USB at all like Apple pads

The Netbook2Chartplotter Project
                  The Lost Grove Lake Mapping Project

I'll be blogging about the upgrade over the winter (For one thing I don't want to hack in the GPS antenna jack until just before I take it out next year so I don't affect the warranty until it is just about up
                  I had a look at your blog and it's really interesting. A netbook wouldn't work for me however. My sailboat has a steering pedestal on which I could never mount a netbook. I put the 7" Galaxy Tab in a waterproof case and mount it on the pedestal. With it's 4,000 mAh battery I am able to use the tablet as a chart plotter for over 6 hours on a single charge with the screen on contantly.
                  Freakbox V1 F/W 1.0.6

Comment

I had a look at your blog and it's really interesting. A netbook wouldn't work for me however. My sailboat has a steering pedestal on which I could never mount a netbook. I put the 7" Galaxy Tab in a waterproof case and mount it on the pedestal. With it's 4,000 mAh battery I am able to use the tablet as a chart plotter for over 6 hours on a single charge with the screen on contantly.
                    You need to look closer, that's not a netbook anymore, it's a tablet and it can be operated on batteries for about 6 hours

My new Lenovo tablet is faster, dual core, better video and can go 8-10 hours while my Nexus 10 can only go 6-8 although most people don't realize the Nexus 10 has one of the most accurate GPS'es available in tablet form because it also uses a barometric pressure sensor which increases the accuracy of the altitude part of the measure which in turn increases the accuracy of thehorizonal measurements

I did find this a couple of days ago and it might interest you, the Corps are putting all their navigation maps in geo-PDF format now and there is an app and you can get an Android or Apple app to use them with for free

I started out hand calibrating their PDF format Mississippi River nav charts but I have a program called Fugawi Marine ENC that reads the Corps iENC (Inland Electronic Navigation Charts) nav charts so I stopped using the PDF format maps except for at home to do a quick look up of something without firing up a mapping program I run a minimum of 2 mapping programs and usually 3 at once and have 2 GPS systems onboard along with the ability to send the GPS data from my Android devices to my chartplotter via a bluetooth or a WiFi link ... Actually I can create a secure link and send the GPS data to my computer at home across the internet ... So if you count my Android devices onboard (A Samsung S3 and a Nexus 7) I usually have 4 GPS devices onboard. I also have 2 depth finders that send depth info back to the chartplotter one with the transducer in the rear and another up front with the transducer on the trolling motor. In order to not have to do a lot of calibration I use remote active GPS antenna, one in back and one in front and just choose which I'm going to use based on what and where I am depth mapping ..... I get pulled over every year by the local Iowa DNR, the Illinois DNR, the US Coast Guard and the Corps of Engineers just so they can see what I have going on this year ..... The DNR does check my fishing license but kind of as an afterthought (I've known most of them for over 10 years, some even longer)

Take a gander around these sites because there is a lot of good information, maps and free programs to run them on .... Our Tax Dollars pay for this stuff so we may as well take advantage of it

Comment

I installed the system and it's working great. I decided to mount the transducer to the stern after all, but may relocate it inboard once the boat is out of the water for the winter.
                      Anyway, in the category "that's stunning news", my two favourite marine apps have joint forces:
                      http://sonarphone.mobi/blog/2014/08/...-option-in-app

Unfortanately for now it's only available for iOS, but an Android release will follow.
                      Freakbox V1 F/W 1.0.6

Comment

Unfortunately for now it's only available for iOS, but an Android release will follow.
                        It's finally here. On january 26 Navionics released a new version of the app with integrated Sonarphone functionality. Now my Tab is a fully functional chart plotter.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0R...ew?usp=sharing
                        Last edited by Rockko; 01-27-2015, 02:50. Reason: added picture
                        Freakbox V1 F/W 1.0.6

Comment

Working...
                        X