Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universal (general) x86 Linux Support (All manufacturers, New forum request)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal (general) x86 Linux Support (All manufacturers, New forum request)

Is there a sub-forum on FreakTab for normal x86 Linux (Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu etc.) ?

I understand ARM Linux requires specific ROMs in a similar way Android does.

But x86 tablets will boot almost any Linux ISO aimed at desktops and laptops as long as they have a bootx64.efi or bootia32.efi file. With differing support for advanced stuff like wifi, touch and battery sensors. But most tablets from the last few years would share a reasonably small number of drivers that can be added post install. (Eg. The Debian non-free packages for realtek and broadcom fix a bunch of wifi and sound driver issues.)

It would be really helpful if there was a universal x86 Linux forum where Cube, Teclast, Chuwi, Pipo owners can discuss stuff together. (As a solution for a specific Chuwi tablet would often mean a solution for some Teclast and Pipo tables etc.)

I realize I'm new and I don't mean to stand on any toes.
    Last edited by Andrew_NZ; 10-02-2016, 18:45.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Had it open for a while in the main forum.

Comment

Just start a thread in tablets section and go from there as a starter if it escalates easy to move and thread it
      Some Info here to do with Intel media player = box without a screen
      http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...intel-mini-pcs
      Cheers

tЯeboЯ
      Please consider
      Donating to Freaktab

Comment

Originally posted by trebor View Post
        Just start a thread in tablets section and go from there as a starter if it escalates easy to move and thread it
        Some Info here to do with Intel media player = box without a screen
        http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...intel-mini-pcs
        Cheers
        Cheers that's some help but it's the battery sensor, accelerometer , camera, touch and wifi that are the tricky drivers. Only the wifi would be covered in those threads.

Comment

No worries, I have passed your request on and will see what we can do,
          Cheers
          tЯeboЯ
          Please consider
          Donating to Freaktab

Comment

It might make sense to use a bit of both our ideas and just rename the " Intel based TV players " to " x86 Devices "

That covers Intel/AMD Tablets, TV Boxes and PC sticks.

Comment

Working...
            X