Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help pls. Reset Next7p12-8g

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Help pls. Reset Next7p12-8g

    My nextbook tablet won't finish booting. It just hangs at the screen which shows a finger and a sunflower. It has a circle of dots that just spins until the battery dies.

    It's the Nextbook 7 premium SE with the AML chip.

    There is no reset hole. The back has a hole labelled "MIC". The manual lists this as the reset hole but when I insert a pin it doesn't feel like a button is pressed and the tablet does not reset.

    I wasn't messing with the ROM or anything. I just tried to turn it on and it's refusing to finish booting.

    Anyone know how to reset it?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Rooted?

    Originally posted by scarsfromknives View Post
    My nextbook tablet won't finish booting. It just hangs at the screen which shows a finger and a sunflower. It has a circle of dots that just spins until the battery dies.

    It's the Nextbook 7 premium SE with the AML chip.

    There is no reset hole. The back has a hole labelled "MIC". The manual lists this as the reset hole but when I insert a pin it doesn't feel like a button is pressed and the tablet does not reset.

    I wasn't messing with the ROM or anything. I just tried to turn it on and it's refusing to finish booting.

    Anyone know how to reset it?

    Thanks.
    My Sons NextBook7P12-8G had the same issue, sent it back to NextBook and they replaced it under warranty...

    If yours was rooted, the issue my son had was his system partition got corrupt and fsck could not fix it automatically, to fix it one would either have to backup/restore or run fsck, I have not rooted my kids, as I did not want them messing with them, once out of warranty (that will be different)...

    So if still under the 1 year, contact NextBook get a case number, then send it to them (you have to pay shipping), then they will send you a brand new one...

    If not under warranty then (I am not sure if one exists) but you need a backup of an existing Next7P12-8G and there is a tool one can use to flash the backup back on to a device. I have heard of others do this with the NextBook8P12-4G, but not the NextBook7P12-8G.

    Also Walmart is selling them again for $69.99...

    Comment


    • #3
      It's running the stock rom. I never bothered to root it. I'll contact Nextbook then. I was hoping it was something I could fix on my own but if I have to send it back, I'll send it back.

      Thx for the reply.

      Comment


      • #4
        OK. I managed to reset it to factory specs. I lost all my apps and everything that was saved to the internal memory, but it is up again.

        I put the sd card back in then held the power + volume down buttons. The tablet booted into recovery mode. I wiped the cache, wiped the media partition and then chose the reset to factory option.

        It took about 5 minutes but it booted back up and prompted me to run the initial config wizard.

        Not sure why it stopped working, but thank God it's back up and running now.

        Comment


        • #5
          Another bites the dust...

          Originally posted by scarsfromknives View Post
          OK. I managed to reset it to factory specs. I lost all my apps and everything that was saved to the internal memory, but it is up again.

          I put the sd card back in then held the power + volume down buttons. The tablet booted into recovery mode. I wiped the cache, wiped the media partition and then chose the reset to factory option.

          It took about 5 minutes but it booted back up and prompted me to run the initial config wizard.

          Not sure why it stopped working, but thank God it's back up and running now.
          My daughters NextBook7P12-8G just did the same thing, So I did the same thing above, rebooted, over night waiting for the Finger... It booted into initial config wizard, configured WiFi, etc.. went to reboot... back to the Finger over night, no response, called NextBook, shipping it back with RMA... So now 2 failed out of the 4 I got for my kids, had the same issue. The system partition got corrupt and the default fsck could not fix the issue... So it got stuck in a boot loop... When I talked to NextBook about it they said they will not release the default ICS OS, nor will these ever get Jelly Bean... Like the OTA update they said it was going to get on the Box, web site, etc... but now... Only ICS replacement via RMA...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Jds View Post
            My daughters NextBook7P12-8G just did the same thing, So I did the same thing above, rebooted, over night waiting for the Finger... It booted into initial config wizard, configured WiFi, etc.. went to reboot... back to the Finger over night, no response, called NextBook, shipping it back with RMA... So now 2 failed out of the 4 I got for my kids, had the same issue. The system partition got corrupt and the default fsck could not fix the issue... So it got stuck in a boot loop... When I talked to NextBook about it they said they will not release the default ICS OS, nor will these ever get Jelly Bean... Like the OTA update they said it was going to get on the Box, web site, etc... but now... Only ICS replacement via RMA...
            Ugh. I posted this same thing over on XDA forums and someone said they had the same problem with the tablet hanging at the finger/sunflower screen. He tried to reset it like I did to mine, but it didn't work for him either. I'm not sure why mine came back to life.

            When I got into the recovery menu the first thing I did was select factory restore. Then I deleted the partition then I wiped the cache. I believe I did it in that order anyway. After I did those three things I scrolled up to the top and selected reboot. Knock on wood, it's been running fine since.

            I do worry that this problem may just spontaneously manifest again as I am not sure what caused it to begin with.

            It's a fun little tablet for what it is, but I'm thinking I should ship off to NextBook for a replacement before they refuse to honor a warranty.

            It's been a good starter tablet but maybe it's time to upgrade.

            Comment


            • #7
              files in sd card

              Originally posted by scarsfromknives View Post
              OK. I managed to reset it to factory specs. I lost all my apps and everything that was saved to the internal memory, but it is up again.

              I put the sd card back in then held the power + volume down buttons. The tablet booted into recovery mode. I wiped the cache, wiped the media partition and then chose the reset to factory option.

              It took about 5 minutes but it booted back up and prompted me to run the initial config wizard.

              Not sure why it stopped working, but thank God it's back up and running now.

              hi i tried to reset my tablet but i donīt know what files put in the sd card,
              thanks in advance

              Comment


              • #8
                Sometimes you have to wipe or factory reset on these things more than once before it works right...

                ShaunMT
                Freaktab Rom Developer

                Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by alej119 View Post
                  hi i tried to reset my tablet but i donīt know what files put in the sd card,
                  thanks in advance
                  These guys didn't put anything on their external SD card to flash... they only rebooted to the stock internal recovery system by holding power and volume key, then chose wipe data / factory reset and wipe cache and then rebooted.

                  If you want to reflash the stock firmware, you need to download the recovery file, unzip it and place the uImage_recovery file on your external SD card. You also need to download the ROM and put the unopened .zip file on your external SD card. Then reboot to recovery by holding power and volume (the tablet will automatically use the modified recovery you placed on the sd card, although it looks the same as the stock recovery). Then install the .zip from the ROM download.

                  Here is the thread with the files:

                  http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Flashable-Root
                  Freaktab Rom Developer

                  Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hello,
                    Can you help me too? Same tablet. next7p12-8g
                    My power and volume+ button does NOTHING!
                    The little reset button on the back does NOTHING!

                    My daughter lost password. Apparently she is protecting top secret information!

                    While I was browsing around the forums I found info on rooting the device.
                    I would like to get into the tablet first and double check the model, it is not listed on the back.

                    First...I need to reset the password somehow.

                    Thank you, Dawn

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey if you hold the power button and volume down button for like 15 seconds after shutting it off it will take you to a screen and you can choose to restore it to factory settings. Use power button to select and volume up and down to move up and down.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by dawnraine View Post
                        Hello,
                        Can you help me too? Same tablet. next7p12-8g
                        My power and volume+ button does NOTHING!
                        The little reset button on the back does NOTHING!

                        My daughter lost password. Apparently she is protecting top secret information!

                        While I was browsing around the forums I found info on rooting the device.
                        I would like to get into the tablet first and double check the model, it is not listed on the back.

                        First...I need to reset the password somehow.

                        Thank you, Dawn

                        Well, you are not pressing the right buttons. There is no reset button on the back of this tablet. Most likely what you think is the reset button is actually the microphone. Look closely to see if just above this "button" it says "MIC" in small letters. If so, it is the microphone. Also, you are holding the wrong volume button. According to the nextbookusa support page, in order to do the reset you have to hold down the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until the screen comes up with the blue words. Use the Volume Down button to scroll down to "wipe data/factory reset" then select it with the power button. If it shows a list of "No"s with one "Yes" down the list, use your Volume Down button to scroll down to the "Yes" then select it with the Power button. Down at the bottom of the screen in yellow letters it will show it is "Wiping Data". When it is finished it will say at the very bottom "Data wipe complete". The blue bar at the top should at this point have put itself back on "Reboot System Now". Once your data wipe is complete, hit your Power button to select "Reboot System Now", your tablet will reboot itself, but it may take a couple minutes.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Did hard reset, still not loading

                          Ok, I have the NEXT7P12-8G tablet from Nextbook. I have had it for a year next month, and it has worked great - until now. Now it keeps getting to the third loading screen (the finger touching the sunflower) and the loading wheel (all the dots in a circle) spins for a couple of minutes, then freezes and stays that way until the battery dies. I have checked with the Nextbook support page, and checked forums, and it all says to do a hard reset. I followed the steps from the Nextbook support page to do the hard reset and it is still having the same problem. I tried doing the reset again and also wiping all Cache partition and Media partition, but to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The serial number sticker on the back has apparently fallen off, so I do not think I can send it back - not to mention it is a replacement anyway and I doubt they would replace a replacement.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Alaunna View Post
                            Ok, I have the NEXT7P12-8G tablet from Nextbook. I have had it for a year next month, and it has worked great - until now. Now it keeps getting to the third loading screen (the finger touching the sunflower) and the loading wheel (all the dots in a circle) spins for a couple of minutes, then freezes and stays that way until the battery dies. I have checked with the Nextbook support page, and checked forums, and it all says to do a hard reset. I followed the steps from the Nextbook support page to do the hard reset and it is still having the same problem. I tried doing the reset again and also wiping all Cache partition and Media partition, but to no avail. Does anyone have any other suggestions? The serial number sticker on the back has apparently fallen off, so I do not think I can send it back - not to mention it is a replacement anyway and I doubt they would replace a replacement.
                            If you've tried wiping it more than once, then the only other thing you could try is flashing a ROM.

                            If flashing a full ROM doesn't solve the problem, then the hardware is likely to blame.

                            ShaunMT
                            Freaktab Rom Developer

                            Subscribe To My Developer Thread For Updates On My Projects: ShaunMT

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by shaunmt View Post
                              If you've tried wiping it more than once, then the only other thing you could try is flashing a ROM.

                              If flashing a full ROM doesn't solve the problem, then the hardware is likely to blame.

                              ShaunMT
                              How do you do that?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X