No announcement yet.

Pipo P9 RileyROM 1.9

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really haven't had time to test GPS with this ROM...so other users can chime in on that one. I have too many projects going on right now. I need to clear up my to do list.

If you noticed in earlier posts...there are a bunch of system apps missing on this ROM...like Google Play Store. That can be solved by downloading the current gapps.zip (Google is your friend to find the link). I haven't had time to test that, either.
    Randy
    Freaktab Developer, Product Reviewer, Moderator and "Flashaholic".
    Read my BIO Here
    Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
    Donate here

Comment

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
      I really haven't had time to test GPS with this ROM...so other users can chime in on that one. I have too many projects going on right now. I need to clear up my to do list.

If you noticed in earlier posts...there are a bunch of system apps missing on this ROM...like Google Play Store. That can be solved by downloading the current gapps.zip (Google is your friend to find the link). I haven't had time to test that, either.

Hmmm... I didn't see that anywhere in this thread. Based on that I think I will just hold off flashing the ROM for a while since I'm not really having any serious issues with the stock ROM.. The proper gapps.zip file is dependent upon which android version is running. But there seems to be some confusion as to whether the 1.9 ROM is running 4.4.2 or 4.4.4. I don't want to be flashing the wrong gapps.zip

Also I noticed that Bob's instructions in the ROM_Dump_Tool folder should be revised to include backing up the resource.img file for rk3288 devices - just a suggestion.

Comment

Gapps by PA can be flashed and works with 4.4.x I've successfully used this. As long as it's KitKat you're good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by f0k4l View Post
          Gapps by PA can be flashed and works with 4.4.x I've successfully used this. As long as it's KitKat you're good to go.
          Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by maverick1122 View Post
            Hello!
            I have 2 sdcards (Lexar 16 gb and one "no name" 32 gb). Both not working. The system shows that the card is inserted but when I go to "storage" the system shows 0.00. I've tried FAT32, exFAT and NTFS - nothing works.

Question 1 - There is an sdcard that is tested and working on pipo p9 or is something wrong with my tablet?
            Question 2 - RileyROM 1.9 solve something about that?

My tablet: PIPO P9 RileyROM 1.8

Thank you for your time!
            M.
            SanDisk ULTRA 32 gb is working!

Comment

Originally posted by jbg653 View Post
              Finally regarding my first post about my poor GPS performance: Do you think the 1.9 ROM will make any difference?
              GPS on most Qualcomm processors, like the galaxy s4, have at least GPS (american) and Glonass (russian). Some newer once even Baidu (Chinese). GPS for example has 24+ satellites in the sky to cover the world, hence you see 12 most of the time because your on 1 half of the hemisphere. Support for the other systems would increase the amount of satellites your device can find and the gps fix time.

Our pipo tablets only support GPS.

Some tweaks that you can do that has a mild effect is to add a gps.conf file in the root/etc dir. But that is a generic android file, which this rom does not have. For more info on that file you should head over to xda or any other website.

Comment

Here's a link to some gps.conf files to download.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=953630
                Randy
                Read my BIO Here
                Be sure to donate to support Freaktab.com. If any of my development work makes a positive difference for you, please make a donation to support future RileyROM's.
                Donate here

Comment

Do you think Android Lollipop comes to the p9?

Comment

Originally posted by Leathran View Post
                    Do you think Android Lollipop comes to the p9?
                    PiPO is testing lollipop on the p9
                    PROUD owner of PiPO M9 Pro
                    PiPO P9 best tablet ever owned!!!

PiPO Tablet Freak and Flashaholic!

Comment

• Hi Randy.

Quick bit of feedback on ROM 1.9. Firstly, thank you for it. I will get round to donating some money towards your work. I have just tried to download the beta release of Libre Office but it wouldn't install on either the internal SD or internal storage space. No great loss at the moment since this first release is only a file viewer. But when the full office suite does come out, I would certainly like to access it from my tablet.

Thanks again for what you do.

Ian.

Comment

• (1) Serious Wi-Fi problem - no PiPO suppport, (2) USB OTG Wi-Fi

(1) Wi-Fi problem, no PiPO suppport

I have a serious Wi-Fi problem. I have written and sent email messages to cocoli@pipomall.com and info@pipo.com.de (I live in Finland and according to PiPO, the closest to me service centre is in Germany) but no-one replies. Does anyone know of an PiPO support email address I could use and GET a reply? Here are some excerpts from what I written this far:

"I bought a new PiPO P9 tablet at... on Sunday 16 November 2014. I just LOVE it! :-) Really great display, very fast device etc. BUT it has a very serious Wi-Fi problem. It stays connected to my (or any other) network only something between 15 seconds to 3 minutes or so at a time. I have to MANUALLY reconnect AGAIN and AGAIN, so I cannot use the Internet almost at all, because the PiPO disconnects and disconnects."

"I even upgraded the ROM to PiPO P9 RileyROM 1.9 – http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...9-RileyROM-1-9 – but it did not help. This PIPO simply does not stay connected. I understand that upgrading the ROM may have broken the warranty, but what can we do? As I said, I love this PIPO, but I absolutely need a reliable Wi-Fi."

"I am attaching 11 pictures that show, for example, how STRONG signal I have. My network is working perfectly, my all other devices – and I have LOTS of them! – NEVER disconnect from it."

Etc. I have tried EVERYTHING possible (and impossible) but the Wi-Fi of my PiPO P9 is hopeless. That's why I am using an Ethernet adapter connected to the PiPO USB OTG Host port via a PiPO OTG USB cable. Works perfectly, but having the PiPO connected with a physical cable to my ADSL modem router is not great. No real portability even though I have a looong Ethernet cable.

---

(2) What about USB OTG Wi-Fi?

The USB Host Controller app – https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ntroller&hl=en – "sees" a USB Wi-Fi adapter I connect to my P9 host port using the PiPO OTG USB cable. That far so good, but the Wi-Fi dongle, of course, does not WORK simply just like that. But I have read that modifying the ROM, it is possible to make an external USB Wi-Fi adapter work. Could this be done? See for example this: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...d/#entry225211

Btw, could there be limitations in terms of available current, not enough for a USB Wi-Fi dongle?

---

Thank you ever so much for the great RileyROM 1.9 and in advance for your replies! :-)

Comment

• It sounds like you've done quite a bit of trouble shooting on this. It appears you have eliminated the firmware as the problem because multiple firmware versions result in the same problem.

While Pipo generally produces a solid product...sometimes devices leave the factory with some quality control issues. In your case it's the wifi.

I haven't heard of the same problem on the P9, but in the RK3188's there was a quality issue with the solder point on the wifi antenna. There are some threads in the main Pipo forum explaining what some people have done to fix their wifi signal. It does involve opening the back cover and first inspecting the solder connection for the wifi antenna. Other's have replaced their wifi antenna's.

If you are good with a soldering iron, you can fix the problem yourself...or you can insist on a replacement.

As far as the warranty goes...as long as you ship the tablet back with the stock firmware installed...you are good.
                          Randy
                          Read my BIO Here
                          Donate here

Comment

• Thank you so much, Randy!

What about the USB OTG Wi-Fi? Is that (im)possible? ;-)

Comment

• Pipo lists only a few compatible wifi dongles on their site. It really depends on whether the firmware supports your particular dongle.
                              Randy
                              Read my BIO Here
                              Donate here

Comment

• External USB OTG WiFi Dongle

Originally posted by rrileypm View Post
                                Pipo lists only a few compatible wifi dongles on their site. It really depends on whether the firmware supports your particular dongle.
                                Now I am a bit puzzled.

First, I know that PiPO is at http://www.pipomall.com/ listing these USB OTG accessories:
                                - 3G Dongles
                                - Ethernet Adapters
                                - USB Hubs

But I cannot find even one external USB OTG WiFi Dongle. Please be so very kind and provide us with a link (or a make and model of a PiPO "approved" USB Wifi Network Adapter), Randy. I'll buy one immediately. Or even though you are saying "on their site", do you still perhaps mean the drivers already installed inside the firmware (I am using the great PiPO P9 RileyROM 1.9) and if so, how do I see them? What am I missing here? Thank you so much! :-)

Second, guys are for example saying that even though many people think that they can just plug in an external USB wireless adapter with an OTG cable and start surfing, it is absolutely wrong. A USB wireless adapter could be used, but it means work that only a firmware magicians like Randy can do. Would you, Randy, be interested in trying this? Example instructions are here: https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/t...d/#entry225211

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X