Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PMID701i Root Walk Through

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • PMID701i Root Walk Through

    If you choose to root your device you're responsible for how it turns out, here's the usual warning:

    >>>>> ROOT AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!
    <<<<<


    NOTE: Do not install any apps that need root access until you follow the root procedure if you have done so you may need to reset the unit before the full root can take.

    1) Download Root Explorer from the web and put it on your SD card. (The current one on the market doesn't seem to give full priveledges, so I'm using v.2.16 for this excersice)

    2) Install Root Explorer on the 701i and run it.

    3) At the top of the screen is a gray box saying "Mount R/O" tap it and it will change to "Mount W/R". (vice/versa).

    4) DONE!

    Get Google Apps i.e. the "Market",
    Head over to this link and grab the "GAPPs" package:
    http://bit.ly/Hgzvyu (unpack to a folder & make sure you put it on your mini SD)
    If all you want is the Market only install: "Vending 3.1.3" & "One Timeinitializer"

    Slide Me is an awesome market too so here you go:
    http://slideme.org/sam.apk (make sure you put it on your mini SD)

    Now go enjoy your fully rooted 701i


    Everything you need in this walk through in one zip:
    http://thejmart.com/701iRoot.zip
    (thanks jimates for the zip!)

    (((Important to note is that the root must be done early on and before any other apps go for root permissions/access. If that happens a factory reset will need to be done with a possible internal SD wipe as well.)))
    Last edited by Nux; 04-22-2012, 05:27 AM. Reason: There was a much simpler way than I had originally posted.

  • #2
    For rooting the PMID701C

    701C Root procedure is here at: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?491-****OFFICIAL-Polaroid-PMID701c-THREAD!-root-market-and-more!

    Last edited by Nux; 04-20-2012, 04:27 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      3) Plug the 701i into the PC (make sure the PC recognizes it!)
      >Click Ok for "turn on USB Storage" on the tablet

      4) Open "Super One Click" and choose the"Advanced" tab
      >Click "Check For Drivers"
      Super One Click will prompt about not having a driver:
      >Click "yes" to install
      By make sure PC recognizes it, do you mean as a USB storage device, or that the PC has a driver for the device? Windows Vista cannot find a driver for it.

      When I open Super One Click and go to Advanced and click Check for Drivers, it appears to do nothing.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ericdurbin View Post
        By make sure PC recognizes it, do you mean as a USB storage device, or that the PC has a driver for the device? Windows Vista cannot find a driver for it.

        When I open Super One Click and go to Advanced and click Check for Drivers, it appears to do nothing.
        Yes as a USB storage, you also have to click "Turn on USB storge" on the tablet. At which point your PC should throw out the prompt for "Auto Play" that's how you know you're connected. I've only used this method in Win7.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks Nux

          The only problem we had was changing the permissions after installing Root Explorer. We had to reset the device, then it was smooth as silk.

          I think everyone in our family will get one of these.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks, market installed fine and seems to have R/W permissions now Now I need to find Angry Birds rio so my sister who was enjoying playing it on my cheap sylvania tablet can try it again and see if this one plays better.
            I have noticed that some games like the free solitaire look fuzzy compered to what they looked like on my old tablet. Is that a limitation of the game vs the res this screen uses like having your LCD monitor set at a non native resolution or am I missing a setting that will get the affected things looking sharp and crisp again?

            Comment


            • #7
              recomedations

              Originally posted by Dartman View Post
              Thanks, market installed fine and seems to have R/W permissions now Now I need to find Angry Birds rio so my sister who was enjoying playing it on my cheap sylvania tablet can try it again and see if this one plays better.
              I have noticed that some games like the free solitaire look fuzzy compered to what they looked like on my old tablet. Is that a limitation of the game vs the res this screen uses like having your LCD monitor set at a non native resolution or am I missing a setting that will get the affected things looking sharp and crisp again?
              Wanna see this thing push some high end games,

              Search the Google market for:

              Temple Run (Free)
              Tiki Karts (Free)
              Cut the Rope Experiments (Free, available in Slide Me market too)

              Also, Angry Birds Space is the best of all the AB IMO.

              A more clever search (not in the market) will turn up some great games too, like:
              Paper Zombies!

              Comment


              • #8
                Is there any way to get the icon to be the new play store instead of market? I tried using the latest gapps for ICS but the play store doesn't work at all, I can get it working with these files but then the icon is "market"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Fors78 View Post
                  Is there any way to get the icon to be the new play store instead of market? I tried using the latest gapps for ICS but the play store doesn't work at all, I can get it working with these files but then the icon is "market"
                  Here's how it got figured out for the 701C, not sure if this will work on the 701i but probably should.
                  From the official 701C thread:
                  http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?491-****OFFICIAL-Polaroid-PMID701c-THREAD!-root-market-and-more!

                  Originally Posted by N4RPS


                  In case the procedure you stated gives anyone else a problem, here's another way to install the Market.

                  In a nutshell, I just used Root Explorer to change permissions on the /system folder to read/write. The write permissions Root Explorer gives to the /system folder don't seem to be permanent, but perhaps someone can assist me with accomplishing THAT feat LATER.

                  Here is that other way, step by step (Thanks a million, xda-developers!):

                  1. Download and gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip (forget where I got it; Google for it...),

                  extract it to a folder, & copy that folder to the SD card

                  2. Download the PAID version of Root Explorer & install on the tablet

                  (A Google search will find THAT, too. BTW, the FREE version won't allow R/W access)

                  3. Open the Root Explorer app & navigate to the transferred .apk files

                  4. Select the GoogleServiceFramework.apk & install

                  5. When complete, click "Done" & return to the file location for Vending.apk

                  6. Long-press Vending.apk & select the "Move" option on pop-up menu

                  7. Navigate to /system/app folder

                  6. Change mount option from RO to RW (read-only to read-write)

                  7. Paste Vending.apk into the /system/app folder

                  8. Long-press Vending.apk & select "Permissions" from pop-up menu

                  9. Change permissions to match all other apps in this folder (rw-r--r--)

                  10. Install Vending.apk

                  11. Reboot your tablet (*I* didn't seem to need to, but it can't hurt, I suppose...)

                  Market now works as advertised. No crashies.

                  Icon ultimately updates to the Play Store icon, and now says 'Play Store'. This may be due to my setting updates to automatic in the app.

                  Perhaps one day, I'll be able to make the other way work for me, but surely this way just MIGHT help out someone who just wants to have the Android Market/Play Store on their tablet, without needing ADB & the other stuff.

                  Root Explorer will also allow you to remove unwanted system apps, or to add your favs to the /system folder.

                  Hope all this can help out someone other poor, confused soul!

                  73 DE N4RPS
                  Rob

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Nux View Post
                    Here's how it got figured out for the 701C, not sure if this will work on the 701i but probably should.
                    From the official 701C thread:
                    http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.php?491-****OFFICIAL-Polaroid-PMID701c-THREAD!-root-market-and-more!

                    Tried that but once I installed root exploer it wouldn't let me see the contents of the SD card, so I hooked up the tablet in USB mode and put the files onto the tablet internal SD partition, was able to see it in root explorer then but when I went to install googleserviceframework it would not install, using root explorer I see the tablet allready has a googleserviceframework installed, so I did the rest and changed the permissions etc but playstore still wont work after installing. Any ideas?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Disregard my last post, after rebooting the tablet google play store works with the correct icon. So what you need to change is : Put the files onto the internal SD partition on the tablet instead of on your removable SD card, and also it seems you do not need to install the googleservicesframework.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        worked good so far. I just used slide me, not market/play but titanium backup was what I realy wanted

                        Thanks

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          no root???

                          hello ,i installed gapps and got the market up and running and i downloaded busy box and superuser both say the tablet is *not* rooted, i used superoneclick and it confirmed it was rooted, but nothing is working ...did i do something wrong ?... im trying to enable adhoc wifi and the app requires root but keeps saying its not rooted

                          EDIT- i reset the tablet and re-downloaded root explorer and when i hit the Mount R/O nothing happens i cant get it to change over ??? Now when I reset everything superuser wont go away, is there anyway to do a hard rest or something?
                          Last edited by momsboy12; 04-29-2012, 07:15 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Run my root utility!

                            Originally posted by momsboy12 View Post
                            hello ,i installed gapps and got the market up and running and i downloaded busy box and superuser both say the tablet is *not* rooted, i used superoneclick and it confirmed it was rooted, but nothing is working ...did i do something wrong ?... im trying to enable adhoc wifi and the app requires root but keeps saying its not rooted

                            EDIT- i reset the tablet and re-downloaded root explorer and when i hit the Mount R/O nothing happens i cant get it to change over ??? Now when I reset everything superuser wont go away, is there anyway to do a hard rest or something?

                            Use my root utility from (Full Root)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by LiquidLimez View Post
                              Use my root utility from (Full Root)
                              Root utility?? I don't see it above?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X