Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polaroid A8 Tablet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Polaroid A8 Tablet

    I got a Polaroid A8 tablet the other day for free. I can't find hardly
    anything about it from the internet. I only found it at Toys-r-us.

    Toys-r-Us
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...uctId=29492676

    The tablet tells the following in "About Tablet" section.

    Model Number: S8
    SOC Chip: Super Dualcore A20
    Android Version: 4.2.2
    Firmware Version: v1.3
    Kernel Version: 1.0.0
    Build Number: 01.01.003.024.01

    During my research I found Southern Telecom distributes these tablets.

    They have a firmware update which will allow Google Play:
    http://southerntelecom.com/polaroids..._guide_A8.html

    My Question:
    Are there any custom roms for this device? I would love to be able to put
    4ext or CWM recovery on it. The device is a bit boggy in my opinion so some
    performance tweaks from a custom rom would be awesome.

    Thanks in advance..

  • #2
    More info, and a question

    Bought one yesterday at Walgreens, where they could be had for $90. I think we got the last one they had at that particular store. More info:

    1 GB of RAM
    4 GB of internal storage
    micro SD slot that will handle an SDHC card (hence up to 32 GB)

    Now, here's my question: apparently they made the A8 before they got Google's blessing to ship it enabled for Google Play, but now you can download and install a file or files that will give it Google Play access... BUT the only thing they provide to do that is a .msi file--Windows only. I am a Linux user; I tried WINE, but the install, of something called "PhoenixSuit' [sic], failed. Nowhere in the ads or on the box was there mention that I could only take full advantage of the tablet if I ran Windows--had there been, back on the shelf the box would have gone so fast shelves would have dumped their contents in the wake.

    I called the "Southern Telecom" number and got a polite but less-than-helpful woman who sounded like she was from India; from her I learned the following:
    • they're supposedly working on some way for Linux and Mac users to get their A8s to use Google Play
    • no, they don't have any idea when they'll have it done
    • when they do, they'll post on the web site (after repeated requests, she said she'd email me notification)
    So: does anyone know of some way Linux users can do what "PhoenixSuit" makes possible for Windows users?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by jejones3141 View Post
      So: does anyone know of some way Linux users can do what "PhoenixSuit" makes possible for Windows users?
      You can unpack the .msi file using msitools (with the msiextract tool) to get the firmware image. How to get it onto your tablet I don't know but it appears to be an allwinner firmware image so you can look for linux firmware tools for those, I already found a linux tool written for the older Allwinner A10 SoC at https://github.com/Ithamar/awutils .

      Comment


      • #4
        sideload option

        The new update with google apps stops you from using adb to control device. The devices as it comes will allow adb out of box.. If all you want is google apps you may be able to go into recovery and use adb sideload in order to install the gapps.. I havent tried it yet but it may be worth a shot..

        Originally posted by jejones3141 View Post
        Bought one yesterday at Walgreens, where they could be had for $90. I think we got the last one they had at that particular store. More info:

        1 GB of RAM
        4 GB of internal storage
        micro SD slot that will handle an SDHC card (hence up to 32 GB)

        Now, here's my question: apparently they made the A8 before they got Google's blessing to ship it enabled for Google Play, but now you can download and install a file or files that will give it Google Play access... BUT the only thing they provide to do that is a .msi file--Windows only. I am a Linux user; I tried WINE, but the install, of something called "PhoenixSuit' [sic], failed. Nowhere in the ads or on the box was there mention that I could only take full advantage of the tablet if I ran Windows--had there been, back on the shelf the box would have gone so fast shelves would have dumped their contents in the wake.

        I called the "Southern Telecom" number and got a polite but less-than-helpful woman who sounded like she was from India; from her I learned the following:
        • they're supposedly working on some way for Linux and Mac users to get their A8s to use Google Play
        • no, they don't have any idea when they'll have it done
        • when they do, they'll post on the web site (after repeated requests, she said she'd email me notification)
        So: does anyone know of some way Linux users can do what "PhoenixSuit" makes possible for Windows users?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by guessyet View Post
          The new update with google apps stops you from using adb to control device. The devices as it comes will allow adb out of box.. If all you want is google apps you may be able to go into recovery and use adb sideload in order to install the gapps.. I havent tried it yet but it may be worth a shot..
          Yep, if you want to keep root access, STAY AWAY from that firmware update. Not only does it break ADB ability while in Android, it also breaks the ADB sideload ability in the stock Recovery. The firmware update doesn't really do much else besides fix a couple bugs and install basic GAPPS. It's still the same version of Android. Definitely not worth the hassle IMHO.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm willing to restore root on the latest firmware if I having willing people to test.

            Comment


            • #7
              I may be willing to try it. I sure did like the ones you made for my older Polaroid tabs...and I do need root access...

              Sent from my A/S8 using Tapatalk
              Polaroid S8
              Blackberry Torch
              Kindle Fire HD Gen 2 - Wifes
              Nokia 520 Windows 8 - Wifes
              (3) Nextbook 7s - Slooooooow - (Finless Bob ROM) - used for kids e-readers
              (2) Samsung Exhibits - kids
              Samsung Blaze, Kindle Fire, (2) PMID701c (Elektrik ROM) - all RIP
              ...some laptops, some PC's and some routers / switches

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by elektrik View Post
                I'm willing to restore root on the latest firmware if I having willing people to test.
                Honestly I'm more interested in seeing what we could do with the ones that haven't updated. Like I said, the one I updated I'm giving to my little brother anyway, I doubt he even knows/cares what root is. But being that it is for him and I don't want to buy another one, I'd rather not take any chances with it.

                However, on my non-updated tablet, I'm willing to test whatever. I just think it would be a wiser idea to stick with the original firmware that's 100x more developer friendly, rather than taking a chance with the updated firmware.

                Comment


                • #9
                  AS8

                  Impactor is the program I have been using to root my A/S8.

                  I have been able to extract the partition images from the updated-google image. I modified the props to enable adb. I also was able to swap the internal sd with extsd to give me 32G of sd to use for installs ..

                  I am currently working on the recovery.

                  elektrik.. maybe we can work together..

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    revert to original (non-google) state

                    before i updated my tablet to the google-update i did a factory wipe/reset of the device and dumped the partitions. after reading a few posts yesterday of folks updating and being stuck - i spent some time today making an image that can be loaded on the device to revert the update.. this image needs to be loaded through phoenixsuite.. it will revert the a/s8 back to factory version of os..

                    this works on my device however, i make no promises it will work on any other..

                    http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0...iginal-AS8.zip
                    Last edited by guessyet; 12-15-2013, 10:54 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BlingDiggity View Post
                      Honestly I'm more interested in seeing what we could do with the ones that haven't updated. Like I said, the one I updated I'm giving to my little brother anyway, I doubt he even knows/cares what root is. But being that it is for him and I don't want to buy another one, I'd rather not take any chances with it.

                      However, on my non-updated tablet, I'm willing to test whatever. I just think it would be a wiser idea to stick with the original firmware that's 100x more developer friendly, rather than taking a chance with the updated firmware.
                      sorry, I only modify the images, so if there is no original image, I woulfn't be interested in even lookong at it, especially since I don't have the device

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by guessyet View Post
                        before i updated my tablet to the google-update i did a factory wipe/reset of the device and dumped the partitions. after reading a few posts yesterday of folks updating and being stuck - i spent some time today making an image that can be loaded on the device to revert the update.. this image needs to be loaded through phoenixsuite.. it will revert the a/s8 back to factory version of os..

                        this works on my device however, i make no promises it will work on any other..

                        http://www.mediafire.com/download/b0...iginal-AS8.zip
                        haha, and right as I say that, I see this post. i'm willing to help, as long as someone with the device is willing to test

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          this is the google-update with adb restored. you install this with phoenixsuite and once the device is booted go into settings and do the following..

                          go to 'about tablet'
                          start pressing the 'build number' line over and over.. it will eventually count down and enable dev options..
                          once dev options are shown (dev option will be just above 'about tablet') press dev options.

                          disable adb if it is enabled and re-enable it. you will get a confirmation message.. press ok..

                          your computer should see the device and you will be able to run the impactor program to drop su into the xbin directory.. once impactor has finished install your supersu or superuser app.. and you are done..

                          http://www.mediafire.com/download/za...S-20130909.zip

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Stock recovery for S8?

                            Originally posted by guessyet View Post
                            The new update with google apps stops you from using adb to control device. The devices as it comes will allow adb out of box.. If all you want is google apps you may be able to go into recovery and use adb sideload in order to install the gapps.. I havent tried it yet but it may be worth a shot..
                            How do go into stock recovery on S8? I am seeing Motochopper as potential option.
                            Is there a way to get into recovery on S8 without connecting it to PC? and may be flash from an sd card ?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Cyanogenmod

                              Would that Cyanogenmod install work on this Tablet ?? Polaroid A8

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X