Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MECOOL M8S Pro + TV Box Amlogic S905X Android 7.1 2/16GB Fast Lan, WiFi 802.11b/g/n

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • If you can't see any jerks, or stutters, or beats when you watch a pan shot of someone running (it's the background that stutters) say, then don't look for it, just enjoy. I do see this effect on 60 at 50Hz material and vice versa.

    My persistence of vision is probably poor so cinema can be quite painful as many panning scenes seem to strobe very distractingly.

    Small TV screens at a distance are fine, but as TVs have got larger and switched from smooth (with blurred motion trails) phosphor to low persistence LCD then I have become more and more aware of my issues. I can only thank Sony for introducing Motionflow 200 (+) so that I can enjoy larger screens. Other people hate Motionflow type smoothing, especially when applied to movies, but it saves me from actual discomfort verging on pain.

    My room temp is 17C and a standard box hits 80C and loses the odd visible frame on the admittedly extreme 60Hz 4K test (or 80C in the Stress Test app).

    I would like to get a passive fix that works even when my room is at 35C. Your 40x40x11 HS may well be enough, now that I know of it, but I don't mind (actually enjoy) experimenting and spending a little time and effort (and a reasonably small amount of money) on it. We are all just adding to the sum of human knowledge (or I may just be reinventing many others wheels as I have some fun ?)


    Comment


    • Originally posted by spaceship9876 View Post

      Would be interesting to know what temps a flat piece of copper would give compared to this flat piece of aluminium.
      I would have used a piece of copper if I had had any to hand and will try out some when/if I can get any. May not make much difference being flat piece as you say.
      Hopefully my handy local metal stockist will have some ... cheap !
      Last edited by P.X; 01-09-2018, 02:39.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Jancales View Post
        Latest update image M8S Pro+ V098 dated 08/12/2017, received from Videostrong.

        https://mega.nz/#!8wgXzATS!pZ5lghJrQ...BUU23MrHPoZIto
        Thanks

        Comment


        • My little mods are over the top you say??

          Take a look at the ones in this thread
          http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-hardware-mods

          e.g. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...131#post673131
          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	673133
          Thanks to Trebor for the original link.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by P.X View Post
            My little mods are over the top you say??

            Take a look at the ones in this thread
            http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...-hardware-mods

            e.g. http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...131#post673131
            Click image for larger version Name:	 Views:	2 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	673133
            Thanks to Trebor for the original link.
            what temps are you getting playing 4k files with that big heatsink?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by spaceship9876 View Post

              what temps are you getting playing 4k files with that big heatsink?
              Not my mod, wish it was
              Have to look in the link ...

              Comment


              • Originally posted by P.X View Post
                My little mods are over the top you say?? Take a look at the ones in this thread...
                And I thought I needed to get a life. Wow! ;-)

                Comment


                • If you guys didn't know already S905X2 and S922 amlogic chips roadmap was leaked today: https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/01...22-processors/

                  Comment


                  • *UPDATE*
                    I have a box from the "faulty batch". It was freezing every single time that was turned on in a matter of minutes. The only thing that I did is open the box and put another heatsink on top of it's own heat sink. I didn't use any glue, because I just wanted to try it. I also haven't done anything with the firmware or the rom.Now if I navigate in the menus and setting there's a small possibility that it might freeze once and not all the time. BUT yesterday I wanted to check if it will freeze playing movies and I watched 2 movies on Stremio, one after the other in 1080. It didn't freeze at all for about 5 hours!!! the first movie was Valerian and I didn't see any cracks or framerate drop

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by satyros View Post
                      *UPDATE*
                      I have a box from the "faulty batch". It was freezing every single time that was turned on in a matter of minutes. The only thing that I did is open the box and put another heatsink on top of it's own heat sink. I didn't use any glue, because I just wanted to try it. I also haven't done anything with the firmware or the rom.Now if I navigate in the menus and setting there's a small possibility that it might freeze once and not all the time. BUT yesterday I wanted to check if it will freeze playing movies and I watched 2 movies on Stremio, one after the other in 1080. It didn't freeze at all for about 5 hours!!! the first movie was Valerian and I didn't see any cracks or framerate drop
                      Would a usb cooler also be helpful or to make holes in the cover of the box or leave the box open without cover?

                      Comment


                      • I just opened the box, put a bigger heatsink on top of it's own heatsink and left the box without a cover. Work time 2 mins max! :-)

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by satyros View Post
                          I just opened the box, put a bigger heatsink on top of it's own heatsink and left the box without a cover. Work time 2 mins max! :-)
                          If you don't mind then "Top-Off" helps quite a bit.
                          Remove the chrome embellisher under the lid helps - and mount vertically helps some more, if you don't want to remove the lid completely.

                          I have posted a few other more time consuming and cost + mods from 2 up that include bigger Heatsink up to 40x40x11mm (Jancales mod), Aluminium bottom plate 50x65x1.6mm sink (or Cu) and a 30mm fan option for the Pro L box.
                          See my earlier posts . . .

                          My Bad-Batch-Box did not get any help from even a big fan (50mm) - Just froze after about 30 seconds whatever

                          Comment


                          • Can anyone help with CEC? My old setup - Bluray player, receiver and TV worked fine. With the Mecool box now in the mix, when I hit power off on the Bluray player it turns off the TV but not the receiver or itself. This is with the Mecool "off" (red light on). With the Mecool on (blue light) hitting power on the Bluray turns everything off, including the Mecool. It also works with the Mecool power supply unplugged but the HDMI cable plugged in. So it must have something to do the the Mecool in power off mode. Maybe the BR player detects and is waiting for some response from the Mecool? Or maybe it is the receiver? Both the BR player and the Mecool are plugged in to the receiver at HDMI1 and HDMI2 inputs.

                            Comment


                            • Hi,

                              Looking at the Xiaomi Mii TV Box Bluetooth remote and there appears to be a few variants??
                              Can anyone help with options and which is which ?
                              Microphone
                              AAA batteries version is which one ??
                              One says motion control as well ???

                              Any help gratefully received,
                              Ta.

                              Comment


                              • Hi,
                                Started a thread on Overheating solutions/options - Please add anything you feel is relevant (or not).

                                http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-...others-options

                                Comment


                                • Magendanz
                                  Magendanz commented
                                  Editing a comment
                                  Thank you!!
                              Working...
                              X