Tanix TX3 MINI - Amlogic S905W (New SoC) - Android 7.1.1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tanix TX3 MINI - Amlogic S905W (New SoC) - Android 7.1.1

Amlogic S905W, yes, you have read well. This is a new specification from Amlogic. The first Android TV Box featuring this SoC is TANIX TX3 MINI.

What is the difference between S905W and S905X?
    • Simple, Amlogic wants a cost effective SoC in the market to fight against RK3229, then, for this new specification they have removed the 4K@60fps resolution, then, what we get is up to 4K@30fps instead. Bad? Well, not so, most of tv box users do not need this specification so it will be a good box for a large majority.
    • Price. The S905W is going to be cheaper than S905 and S905X.
    • Android 7.1.1 OS

Here you can see some pictures of the box and motherboard:

Tanix TX3 Mini - Amlogic S905W - Android 7.1.1

Amlogic S905W

Tanix TX3 Mini UNBOXING:

As always, we will probably find this motherboard built-in some other case designs.

By the way... I designed this case for Tanix

No price yet. But you can find the first informations at Tanix TV Box website: TANIX TX3 MINI - Amlogic S905W

Download: Firmware Tanix TX3 Mini
    Last edited by Javimetal; 09-13-2017, 21:42.
    Android TV Box direct from China. English & Español

If RK3229 boxes can be made cheaply with 4K@60fps then why can't Amlogic do exactly the same?

Whilst many users do perhaps not necessarily need full 4K, the marketing behind it has been so great for a while now that anything that seems inferior may well be treated as such.

If it were automatically compensated for by including 2Gb RAM as standard then there might be a chance but this particular one still only has 1Gb.

Amlogic's one key advantage at the moment is the ability for independent firmware improvements, which is what will have prompted Rockchip to start opening up more of their sources.

I would also question whether the cost of implementing HDMI 1.4 over 2.0 is that great, especially when 2.0 has now become the norm on Android boxes and all new TV's.

Unless the price undercuts the likes of the cheap RK3229 boxes by a significant amount then I think this AMLogic venture could be a big fail and looks more like a marketing ploy rather than anything that will make a difference.

Rightly or wrongly, image does matter and anything new that appears on the market that has what some will label as ancient technology is more likely to fail.

If such a box were to come as standard with something like Libreelec and not Android though, aimed purely at the Kodi market then I think that it would stand a better chance of short term survival.

As it stands though I personally think that this new SOC will come and go very quickly.
    MXIII-G II, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, NUC6CAYH

Comment

When Rockchip launched the RK3229 I thought.... "God! A new chip with Mali-400 MP2 now???" (MP "2" means dual core GPU, and we know Mali-400 from... many years ago). "How somebody in the earth will buy that?"

But, surprisingly, the fact is that RK3229 finally has became the best seller SoC for Rockchip and Amlogic is losing the #1 position.

Amlogic has ruled the market these last years, but now, Rockchip is about to beat them.

Amlogic needs to cut something in order to reduce price, I know the RK3229 can support 4K@60fps but let´s compare:

RK3229
      • CPU- Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.5 GHz.
      • GPU – ARM Mali-400 MP2 (dual core)
      • Resolution: Up to 4K@60fps

S905W
      • CPU- Quad Core ARM Cortex A53 64-bits @ 2.0 GHz
      • GPU – ARM Mali-450 MP5 (penta core)
      • Resolution: Up to 4K@30fps
      Both can support 2GB RAM

So, which one is better? Of course it depends on the user's needs... but thinking that most of people still do not even own a 4K TV, there are few 4K content available in comparison with other resolutions and the most used feature is "Video Streaming"... I bet S905W will be a better option.

I did not like how Rockchip "cut" a new SoC with stone age components to produce RK3229, I think Amlogic´s mind is smarter by removing what people does not use and keep the strong core.

There are several marketlevels there, I will not buy a S905W if my main usage is watching super high quality 4K movies. But if just want a "stream box" to run KODI add ons, Youtube or IPTV, a cheap box is more than enough. What is clear is that the "stream box" is the biggest market there.

Conclusion: The market will choose if this S905W is a success or not. Let´s see

Comment

I have been burned to many times by Rockchip, I doubt if I would ever purchase one again. All my boxes in the last 2 or 3 years have been Amlogic powered.
        MK818B, T428, ATV 1220, CS918S, TV01, S89H, R89, ADT-1, MK808B Plus, MINIX X8-H Plus, Tronsmart Orion R68

Comment

Hi Javimetal ,

i think the same over "Mali400/450" , why they not take the newest Mali , or better , i think they

try to minimate there old inventories ???!!!

nice Day

gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
            Hi Javimetal ,

i think the same over "Mali400/450" , why they not take the newest Mali , or better , i think they

try to minimate there old inventories ???!!!

nice Day

gefattern
            Because it would increase price, here the point is cut costs and offer the best price for low ending tv box (what is the biggest part of the cake).

I am not sure about minimate old inventories:

- Amlogic is using Mali450 for other chips as S905X
            - Rockchip is using Mali400 for RK3229, RK3228, RK3128... do not forget the 1.3 Million people market of China where hundreds of thousands low ending TV Box are sold.

Comment

hi Javimetal ,

i really want to pay 5€ more , but better GPU .

good night / or / good morning / i go sleep

gefattern

Comment

Originally posted by gefattern View Post
                hi Javimetal ,

i really want to pay 5€ more , but better GPU .

good night / or / good morning / i go sleep

gefattern
                We need a customizable SoC , I also would pay 5€ more for this.

Comment

Originally posted by Javimetal View Post
                  When Rockchip launched the RK3229 I thought.... "God! A new chip with Mali-400 MP2 now???" (MP "2" means dual core GPU, and we know Mali-400 from... many years ago). "How somebody in the earth will buy that?"

But, surprisingly, the fact is that RK3229 finally has became the best seller SoC for Rockchip and Amlogic is losing the #1 position.

Amlogic has ruled the market these last years, but now, Rockchip is about to beat them.

Amlogic needs to cut something in order to reduce price, I know the RK3229 can support 4K@60fps but let´s compare:

RK3229
                  • CPU- Quad Core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.5 GHz.
                  • GPU – ARM Mali-400 MP2 (dual core)
                  • Resolution: Up to 4K@60fps

S905W
                  • CPU- Quad Core ARM Cortex A53 64-bits @ 2.0 GHz
                  • GPU – ARM Mali-450 MP5 (penta core)
                  • Resolution: Up to 4K@30fps
                  Both can support 2GB RAM

So, which one is better? Of course it depends on the user's needs... but thinking that most of people still do not even own a 4K TV, there are few 4K content available in comparison with other resolutions and the most used feature is "Video Streaming"... I bet S905W will be a better option.

I did not like how Rockchip "cut" a new SoC with stone age components to produce RK3229, I think Amlogic´s mind is smarter by removing what people does not use and keep the strong core.

There are several marketlevels there, I will not buy a S905W if my main usage is watching super high quality 4K movies. But if just want a "stream box" to run KODI add ons, Youtube or IPTV, a cheap box is more than enough. What is clear is that the "stream box" is the biggest market there.

Conclusion: The market will choose if this S905W is a success or not. Let´s see
                  I don't think for one second that AmLogic is going to lose it's number 1 slot anytime soon unless the newly opened code from Rockchip allows developers to take full advantage of customisation.

Indeed the market will decide but I really do see this as more of a short term marketing tool because the Android TV box market has become so over saturated, with all manner of apparent new names appearing to try to give the impression that there is more competition, when in reality it's the same factories churning them out so quickly that the state is inventing new companies to badge them under.

Which is partly why I think that it will come and go very quickly.

S905x boxes are already quite cheap in themselves as as many RK3229 users are already finding, the lack of real support for the worlds favourite media player Kodi is so lacking that this SOC will not be around for much longer either as mistrust in Rockchip really starts to hit home.

With so much development already invested by devs in S905x and even the reasonably priced S912 means that there might not be the same level of interest for boxes at the cheaper end of the market.

I can just see the reaction from many people when they see HDMI 1.4 and comments that it will generate unless the price is so tempting that it becomes irresistible to people, which then leaves Amlogic with a potential headache is all of a sudden they cannot sell their better specified SOC's.

A risky move I think but we shall of course see when they are priced and released.

Luckily there is no other competition out there right now except Rockchip and Allwinner are hardly likely to compete with their next gen SOC and reputation.

If anywhere, as I mentioned earlier, the Libreelec route would be the most profitable route for a cheap switch on and play box that might just appeal, especially as this is one route that is not open to Rockchip and also means not having to put up with all the Android deficiencies that we always see with stock firmwares.

I can appreciate that as a person that is naturally going to want to push it as it will earn you money that you will push it as hard as you can and good luck to you.

MXIII-G II, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, NUC6CAYH

Comment

I obviously prefer Amlogic over Rockchip.

Anyway, both them just mind how many pcs of their chips can sell by the end of the month.

Amlogic has felt threatened by Rockchip and their RK3229 low ending product... so trying to react.

We can not look at the market always from the "Geek guys" point (I am a geek guy too), the biggest part of TV Box buyers do not even know what Libreelec is, they just want to get "a Kodi box" because they have heard it is possible to watch tons of content for free.

Also let´s see if IPTV will replace KODI in a near future. We all know that KODI dislike TV Box sellers because piracy.

Comment

If Amlogic had just wanted to take on the RK3229 the could of just refreshed the Quad A5 s805 with Android 7.1 and a Penta core Mali 450. Budget boxes are just for watching TV or streamed video.

If you can afford 4K TV and 4K capable broadband plus 4K content are you really going to buy a £20.00 GBP streaming box. I think not. The s905w fills a perceived market.

Going forward Amlogic should roll out Android 7.1 to all their s905, s912 line. A s912 with direct USB 3 on all USB ports, no USB hub. Work to optimize the s912, it's emmc and memory to run as fast as possible while remaining as cool as possible. And support 4GB on all s905 to s912, 1000M Ethernet minimum, Work with manufactures on specified heatsink cooler and memory type, will pay back better than advertising and be cheaper in my opinion.

Do what AMD did and encourage a over clocker forum for feedback from people.

As well as support and encourage the s905-s912 single board computers, a market the RK3229 is not in!

Comment

Will never happen because these a China device. If you understand that they produce sell and make new to again sell support is not even discussed with these manufactures because its all about moving product. Get next one ready. Sell sell sell... The chipset manufactures dont trust each other that why they hold close as others steal ideas devices and clone within days of being released. The 3229 is a crap device with exception of 2 models that just work. D5 ect the rest pull support from that still closed Gpu as always with Rockchip. You will never get to the level of support that Amd or Intel why NO MONEY IN THAT. 10 Years nothing changes its the same will be same next year. The odd few that support are limited to the Sdk released again CLOSED. So keep dreaming ill enjoy each chipset but in realty its not changing. 3399 Same as every other chipset by rockchip.... Closed Gpu look at the promiced Linux support no commits for a Year.... Again promices promices doesnt happen why. No money in old chipset support. Make new one move on. LOL

3399 Could have been the market killer had they taken time to add proper support and a gpu that could actually deliver better graphics. Or actually got firmware to work properly with Gpu
                        Many devices now mk902ii/Shield/Mk68 /Ugoos/neox5/minix5 (yes they still work lol) mk80 no it doesnt work lol.

Comment

Amlogic paid Baylibre to work on Linux for their SoC, that and others work, as you know, mean some support in Linux 4.10. Amlogic have not licenced the Linux GPU drivers from Arm.

Amlogics market is TV, STB, Smart Home, Smart Projector and Tablet. The life cycle of under £45 of Android TV boxes is short and profit margins tight. It is not like buying a £200-600 PC with Windows or a Mac.

A £20-25 TV box over 2 years is £10- £12.50 a year . For surfing the web, email, TV and film, messaging, old game console emulation they do the job.

As to Rockchip I had a Rk3066 TV stick , then the RK3188T which was sold as faster RK3188, so I sent it back. And RK3188 series had GPU problems.

It is Kodi ( needs Android 5.1 upwards now ) with Android which has been fueling the TV box sales. INMO

Comment

I agree this is pointless soc. Buyers like boxes that actually work as advertised, with good app and drm compatability is what will sell boxes. The mecool m8s pro plus with widevine level , android 7 and a cheap price tag, is a step in the right direction.

Comment

The TANIX TX3 MINI is now on presale at geekbuying,Shipping in 4 days use coupon:PYNNHDAH to save you a whopping $4

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/TANIX...ox-384467.html
                              Please consider making a Donation to freakTab

Comment

Working...
                              X