Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W

    Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W ... instructions posted here and a demo video here

    #2

    Nice you find a way to use 64bit at 32bit EFI...
    RK3288 Devices
    - Overview BOX (LINK !)
    - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

    MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
    UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
    Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
    Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

    RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
    Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

    Comment


      #3
      Rally Nice work.

      Comment


        #4
        Awesome!

        Thanks for sharing that.

        Bob
        "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
        "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
        "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
        "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
        "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
        "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
        "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
        "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
        "Forgive them as they know not what they do"





        Comment


          #5
          FYI this should work on any of the Intel boxes correct?

          If so, maybe this should be a sticky in the root of the Intel box forum not just for the Z64?

          Bob
          "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
          "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
          "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
          "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
          "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
          "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
          "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
          "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
          "Forgive them as they know not what they do"





          Comment


            #6
            I think so too...
            RK3288 Devices
            - Overview BOX (LINK !)
            - Overview STICK (Dongle) (LINK !)

            MINIX NEO: Z64 W/A - (Intel Z3735F); X8-H Plus - (Amlogic S812H); A2 Lite (sponsored by minix.com.hk)
            UGOOS UT3S (4/32GB with fan) - FW 2.0.6 - (RK3288) (sponsored by GearBest.com)
            Tronsmart Draco AW80 Meta (2/16GB) - FW v2.0rc3 - (Allwinner A80) (sponsored by GeekBuying.com)
            Beelink / UBOX R89 - FW 111k4110_1219 - (RK3288) (sponsored by Netxeon (Beelink))

            RK3188: pcb => "CH001 1332 TN-BX09_V2.1" (K-R42 / CS918...) => wasser KK 1.0.3 (old rev)
            Fly Mouse Mini Wireless Keyboard with 2 mode learning IR remote 'iPazzPort KP-810-16'

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by linuxium View Post
              Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W ... instructions posted here and a demo video here
              Awesome! Good work man!
              There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't...

              If you want to buy me a beer, please use this -> https://www.paypalobjects.com/en_US/..._donate_SM.gif

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Finless View Post
                FYI this should work on any of the Intel boxes correct?

                If so, maybe this should be a sticky in the root of the Intel box forum not just for the Z64?

                Bob
                Unfortunately whilst these instructions theoretically will probably work on similar Intel boxes the ability to perform the instructions does vary between boxes.

                For example, grub input on the Meegopad works differently and it is impossible to enter the required boot command. It is so different that I was forced to write a work-around grub wrapper just to allow easier option selection and my installation instructions are also different to reflect this issue (see here).

                Also I think alternative instructions will be required for the MINIX Neo Z64A (Android) device as partitioning seems more challenging from the brief look I've had so far.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W

                  Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                  Unfortunately whilst these instructions theoretically will probably work on similar Intel boxes the ability to perform the instructions does vary between boxes.

                  For example, grub input on the Meegopad works differently and it is impossible to enter the required boot command. It is so different that I was forced to write a work-around grub wrapper just to allow easier option selection and my installation instructions are also different to reflect this issue (see here).

                  Also I think alternative instructions will be required for the MINIX Neo Z64A (Android) device as partitioning seems more challenging from the brief look I've had so far.
                  I would like one of these boxes to dual boot but I'm looking for Official OpenELEC & Windows 7, would this work with windows and OE? - I have work HP 9470 and dual boot just fine but won't buy one of these boxes till I'm sure it will work.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    You will never get Windows 7 on this box.

                    Bob
                    "Pzebacz im, bo nie wiedzą, co czynią"
                    "Прости им, они не ведают, что творят"
                    "Perdona loro perché non sanno quello che fanno"
                    "Vergib ihnen, denn sie wissen nicht, was sie tun"
                    "Vergeef hen want ze weten niet wat ze doen"
                    "Pardonne-leur car ils ne savent pas ce qu'ils font"
                    "Perdónalos porque no saben que lo que hacen"
                    "Oprosti im, jer ne znaju što čine"
                    "Forgive them as they know not what they do"





                    Comment


                      #11
                      Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W

                      Originally posted by Finless View Post
                      You will never get Windows 7 on this box.

                      Bob
                      Is that because this box lacks sufficient storage? 64gb is needed?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Iso-playback View Post
                        Is that because this box lacks sufficient storage? 64gb is needed?
                        No. It has to do with UEFI (BIOS). MINIX Neo Z64W has a 32-bit UEFI, while MINIX Neo Z64A has a 64-bit UEFI. A 32-bit UEFI can only boot 32-bit operating systems, while a 64-bit UEFI can only boot 64-bit operating systems.

                        A long time ago, Microsoft decided to support UEFI booting only for 64-bit Windows, not for 32-bit Windows. According to this decision, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 support booting from 64-bit UEFIs, but 32-bit versions of Windows Vista/7 do not support booting from 32-bit UEFIs. Recently, they have revised this decision, but not retrospectively. This means that you can boot 32-bit versions of Windows 8/8.1 from 32-bit UEFIs, but not the older 32-bit versions of Windows Vista/7.

                        You may probably be able to run Windows 7 64-bit on the cheaper Android version, but it has to be thoroughly tested.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W

                          Originally posted by loko View Post
                          No. It has to do with UEFI (BIOS). MINIX Neo Z64W has a 32-bit UEFI, while MINIX Neo Z64A has a 64-bit UEFI. A 32-bit UEFI can only boot 32-bit operating systems, while a 64-bit UEFI can only boot 64-bit operating systems.

                          A long time ago, Microsoft decided to support UEFI booting only for 64-bit Windows, not for 32-bit Windows. According to this decision, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista/7/8/8.1 support booting from 64-bit UEFIs, but 32-bit versions of Windows Vista/7 do not support booting from 32-bit UEFIs. Recently, they have revised this decision, but not retrospectively. This means that you can boot 32-bit versions of Windows 8/8.1 from 32-bit UEFIs, but not the older 32-bit versions of Windows Vista/7.

                          You may probably be able to run Windows 7 64-bit on the cheaper Android version, but it has to be thoroughly tested.
                          Thanks for your detailed help, there is one box I know of that has 64gb the Voyo I think its called, would that run Win8.1 & OpenELEC? Windows 7 is not hugely important to me but Official OpenELEC is. Thanks again.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by linuxium View Post
                            Dual booting Windows and Ubuntu on MINIX Neo Z64W ... instructions posted here and a demo video here

                            Can dual boot android and windows??

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Iso-playback View Post
                              Thanks for your detailed help, there is one box I know of that has 64gb the Voyo I think its called, would that run Win8.1 & OpenELEC? Windows 7 is not hugely important to me but Official OpenELEC is. Thanks again.
                              32-bit UEFIs are designed to boot only 32-bit operating systems
                              64-bit UEFIs are designed to boot only 64-bit operating systems

                              Since 32-bit operating systems are somehow obsolete, and since Microsoft decided that 32-bit Windows 7 will never become UEFI compatible, almost all computers have 64-bit UEFIs and are capable of booting only 64-bit operating systems.

                              Intel Bay Trail processors were deemed not powerful enough to run 64-bit Windows 8/8.1, so Microsoft made 32-bit Windows 8/8.1 UEFI compatible, and the manufacturers of mini Windows devices started using 32-bit UEFIs to boot 32-bit Windows 8/8.1. These devices having 32-bit UEFIs cannot normally boot 64-bit operating systems.

                              If a device runs 32-bit Windows 8.1, it means it has a 32-bit UEFI. If a device runs 64-bit Windows 8.1, it means it has a 64-bit UEFI.

                              Since UEFI compatible Linux distributions are 64-bit, you cannot boot them in a system having a 32-bit UEFI. There are some patches being made for 64-bit Linux distributions to run under a 32-bit UEFI, but there are many problems. OpenELEC needs a 64-bit UEFI.

                              Your chances may be higher with the Android version of MINIX Neo Z64, which has a 64-bit UEFI. There may be other incompatibilities though, so you just have to wait until things become clear.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X