No announcement yet.

HDCP on rockchip devices - PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDCP on rockchip devices - PLEASE HELP!

Hi All.

I have v88 plus media player and a TX2-R2 media players.

I am trying to run south african live streaming software called DSTV now.

The software installs fine but no video plays.

Initially i thought this was a DRM issue so i managed to install Widevine onto the box.

Security level shows L3 and the HDCP level is at Unprotected.

Turns out the software does not use Widevine but the technician did mention that the unprotected level of HDCP is an issue as the software requires HDCP.

I went into developer options on the box and tried all 3 HDCP settings but no luck same result. I have now tried on a samsung HDMI monitor, Samsung 51inch Full HD PLasma and LG 42INCH LED tv also 1080P.
    I have done some research and I see that the boxes support HDCP 1.4 and 2.2. I assuem all these devices are 1.4.

The issues I can forsee here is the following
    > The box is somehow only using HDCP 2.2 and I need to manually set to 1.4
    > The HDCP is somehow disabled
    > I only use the HDMI port but somehow the normal TV output is listed as primary port and this is causing issues

I cannot see any other settings regarding the HDCP in android and I have searched the Build.prop for mention of these settings I have also looked through some system files and cannot find anything to do with the HDCP version or settings.

Could anyone please help me with this issue. If I try stream live video then the video loads but the screen then stays black. If I unplug the cable and plug it back in then a freeze frame of the program appears but I cannot play it.

There seems to be more success with the amlogic devices and this software.

Regards
    Brent

I'm not so sure that HDCP will be entirely relevant here because it is to do with how devices negotiate with your TV in order to provide Ultra 4K encrypted content.

Even if it did for you streaming service, which would be odd because there will still be millions of televisions out there that do not have HDCP 2.2 (or even 2.0), so they would be missing out on subscriptions, unless it's only an issue at 4K levels.

I'm guessing that you are using the DSTVNow app?

Have you tried watching through a browser such as Chrome (version 53+) or Firefox (version 47+)?

Two of the other things that can almost certainly come into play are rooting and HDMI port detection on Android devices.

Many mainstream service apps check for rooting and will prevent playback.

Some are also clever enough to detect the presence of an HDMI port and have protection built in to prevent playback that way.

So unrooting might be the first logical step.

Then checking in settings to see if the firmware producer has either provided a method to hide HDMI detection.

Or seeing if one of the Xposed framework modules can be installed that can essentially try and hide the HDMI port.

But even after all that, it may still not work.

Doing a quick search on Freaktab for dstv shows a lot of threads where it is mentioned, so worth reading though them to see if there are any success stories.
    Last edited by bluesmanuk; 08-04-2017, 14:18.
    MXIII-G II, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, NUC6CAYH

Comment

Originally posted by bluesmanuk View Post
      I'm not so sure that HDCP will be entirely relevant here because it is to do with how devices negotiate with your TV in order to provide Ultra 4K encrypted content.

Even if it did for you streaming service, which would be odd because there will still be millions of televisions out there that do not have HDCP 2.2 (or even 2.0), so they would be missing out on subscriptions, unless it's only an issue at 4K levels.

I'm guessing that you are using the DSTVNow app?

Have you tried watching through a browser such as Chrome (version 53+) or Firefox (version 47+)?

Two of the other things that can almost certainly come into play are rooting and HDMI port detection on Android devices.

Many mainstream service apps check for rooting and will prevent playback.

Some are also clever enough to detect the presence of an HDMI port and have protection built in to prevent playback that way.

So unrooting might be the first logical step.

Then checking in settings to see if the firmware producer has either provided a method to hide HDMI detection.

Or seeing if one of the Xposed framework modules can be installed that can essentially try and hide the HDMI port.

But even after all that, it may still not work.

Doing a quick search on Freaktab for dstv shows a lot of threads where it is mentioned, so worth reading though them to see if there are any success stories.
      How can I use dstvnow app on my Android TV box. Thanks
      Last edited by gefattern; 12-29-2017, 08:08.

Comment

Originally posted by bisiking View Post

How can I use dstvnow app on my Android TV box. Thanks
        I can only suggest doing a search on Freaktab and Google as I'm not aware of anybody getting this to work reliably yet.

But there may be some success stories out there and I would like to hear of one because there has been a lot of discussion over time about this app.

We in the UK have a similar app that seems to escape all the methods of hiding that are employed to work on Android, so I know the frustration lol
        Last edited by gefattern; 12-29-2017, 08:08.
        MXIII-G II, Chuwi Hibox, Nvidia Shield, NUC6CAYH

Comment

Originally posted by bisiking View Post

How can I use dstvnow app on my Android TV box. ThanksÂ*
          Hi

The app can successfully work on an Nvidia Shield(Nougat firmware), Xiaomi Mi box(Marshmallow firmware),
          Bqeel RK3328(Rockchip Nougat firmware), some Mygica(Amlogic Kitkat firmware) & AppleTV devices.

It requires correctly integrated DRM, DRM keybox with secure storage, clean fully unrooted firmware with the latest security patches to be able to run.
          So any no name device with half baked firmware will never work with it.
          They also mention on Google Play devices like Nexbox, Schishion etc. are not compatible as they are rooted and not secure since content providers require a secure
          environment because of their licence agreement.

Comment

Has there been an update on the Tanix TX2-R2 being able to run DSTV NOW successfully?

Comment

• mo123
              mo123 commented
              Editing a comment
              It will never be able to run it.
              The device is also discontinued i.r.t software support.

If you want a new device, Bqeel RK3328 can run it and also has full support for Kodi 18.
              But you must import it from Amazon EU countries.

Thanks for the reply pal but I have actually stopped playing with these Rockchips I now just use Amlogics and works 100%

Comment

Working...
            X