Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H96max running OrangePI Ubuntu.

The topic.
    Very simple. Take the distro from Opi site, dd it on the SD-card. insert and turn on power. It is running.
    Later, the kernel changed to
    root@localhost:~# uname -a
    Linux localhost 4.4.114 #11 SMP Mon Mar 12 08:46:26 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

The problem is with dtb file: partially it works.
    USB2 is ok, HDMI is ok, Ethernet is ok.
    But:
    [ 0.809301] cdn-dp fec00000.dp: Direct firmware load for rockchip/dptx.bin failed with error -2
    (file dptx.bin present)

So, USB3 is off (both type-C and normal USB3 blue socket; it works in Android).
    Also, I cannot check AV output and ALSA shows only SPDIF, that has no controls.
    I think the only need is any correct dtb file to work with the board.

Solution should be taking Orginal Device Firmware unpack it and exchange the dtb.
    Then it should work.

Regards
    Neomode

Comment

Very interesting for people who want to use the box for emulation.

Like me.

​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by neomode View Post
        Solution should be taking Orginal Device Firmware unpack it and exchange the dtb.
        Then it should work.
        mmmm.....there was a problem with android's image unpacking for that device with the help of RK tools and android SDK native tools. I do not know why, and have no time to learn and investigate all tools and formats.
        but I've got the string from the image (comments line in source dtb file), compile the same dtb, but with no effect.
        so, waiting for some help....

Comment

I didn't have any issue with unpacking the android image. I used the RKTool_Linux.tar.gz (from OPI Mega cloud, folder RK3399_Tools) which contains the Linux_Pack_Firmware and that can disassemble the whole android image 'update.img' into bits (run unpack.sh). The dtb is extracted to the output/Image/resource.img file, but has a header of size 0x600 which needs to be stripped off. I tried a DTB from android 7.1 which improved audio and USB3, but didn't enable linux framebuffer (/dev/fb), but I could login via serial and verify the audio (there's now hdmi out and spdif) and USB 3.0 port. I tried to fix the fb but no luck so far.
          Then I downloaded linux image for odroid-n1 SBC which has also rk3399 soc and used their dtb. This dtb supports frame buffer, hdmi audio and USB 3.0, GBit ethernet, but no spdif on the H96max tv box. Still it's an improvement. Unfortunately there seems to be no graphics acceleration so the Xorg desktop (lxde) was sluggish, but usable.

Comment

I've made an SD card disk image of the Debian Linux for H96Max TV box. It's more like a a proof of concept, many things may not work as expected.

What works for me:
            * hdmi video & audio
            * ethernet network
            * USB, both 2.0 and 3.0

What doesn't work or untested:
            * on-board wifi (but an external USB wifi does work)
            * everything else, feel free to improve it :-)

The Micro SD card image can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/pd9eymt4z0sjbn5ckirp0ycxvrxjy7j0
            Download all parts from the above link and decompress via '7zr x h96max_debian_lxde_r1.img.7z.001' on Lin, or via 7zip on Win. Then use Etcher app to burn the uncompressed image to your Micro SD card.
            Turn off the TV box, insert the card and power on the box. That's it. If you want to switch back to Android, just turn off the box and eject the Micro SD card. A rootfs was taken from Hardkernel's odroid board image, so the passwords for root is 'odroid'. As usual, after the first boot change the user passwords and update via 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade'.

Credits go to: Slack for finding and trying out the OPI Linux image and reporting his findings, Xunlong Software CO. (convenient booting of linux kernel on rk3399), Hardkernel (Debian rootfs, dtb), FriendlyELEC (linux kernel and modules).

Comment

Hello olin

Can you post a link for Etcher app ?

thanks

Michael T.
              3.0.x Lollipop firmware RK3288 By Wasser/ My Standard Remote IR
              CVSB-K200-Wireless Mini QWERTY Keyboard / Motion Mouse for Android RF
              Rii Mini i25 Qwerty Keyboard/Motion Mouse For Android RF
              Media Flow Suite ... 24 TB ReadyNas Pro wired 1 GB Ethernet

Comment

Etcher is here:

Etcher.io for Windows.

Neomode

Comment

Originally posted by olin View Post
                  I've made an SD card disk image of the Debian Linux for H96Max TV box. It's more like a a proof of concept, many things may not work as expected.

What works for me:
                  * hdmi video & audio
                  * ethernet network
                  * USB, both 2.0 and 3.0

What doesn't work or untested:
                  * on-board wifi (but an external USB wifi does work)
                  * everything else, feel free to improve it :-)

The Micro SD card image can be found here: https://app.box.com/s/pd9eymt4z0sjbn5ckirp0ycxvrxjy7j0
                  Download all parts from the above link and decompress via '7zr x h96max_debian_lxde_r1.img.7z.001' on Lin, or via 7zip on Win. Then use Etcher app to burn the uncompressed image to your Micro SD card.
                  Turn off the TV box, insert the card and power on the box. That's it. If you want to switch back to Android, just turn off the box and eject the Micro SD card. A rootfs was taken from Hardkernel's odroid board image, so the passwords for root is 'odroid'. As usual, after the first boot change the user passwords and update via 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade'.

Credits go to: Slack for finding and trying out the OPI Linux image and reporting his findings, Xunlong Software CO. (convenient booting of linux kernel on rk3399), Hardkernel (Debian rootfs, dtb), FriendlyELEC (linux kernel and modules).
                  Thanks for the image. Confirm that both USB 2.0 and 3.0 works. HDMI works.
                  However I cannot connect to the network eth0.
                  I can't get the IP from DHCP and even if I set a static IP, it still does not work.
                  Is there any config file I need to update?
                  Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                  X